• Happy Collect Rocks Day! 🪨🥌💎

Marshall Lake loop- NW Ontario (July 2024)

I think I sprayed myself with more Deet than I ever had in my life

Since a significant subplot of this story is bug-man agonistes, I'm curious as to whether you found DEET to be effective against black flies. Reports conflict. Some say picaridin is more effective. Others say permethrin for all clothing (and tents) plus headnets.

Cheryl . . . told me that she’d met her husband while paddling the loop with memaquay and 20 teen-aged school kids.

She's clearly imbued with abilities to compartmentalize, multitask and survive.

Cheryl is a great gal, she's also a nurse, and was my main helper with the Outers program in the first ten years that I ran it. This shot was taken on one of the Steel trips.
B6n6t3v.jpg

In the spring, that port between Stone and Ara can be a real soul destroyer, vast areas of deep water and loon sh@t. Here's some shots of suffering.

Looking forward to the last instalment, that final port is no picnic!

I remember that port from Stone to Ara, wet. I had to wait out the wind on Ara and hung out at the one campsite on the lake, washed those muddy clothes and had some tea,
DSC02315_Original.jpegDSC02293_Original.jpeg

DSC02297_Original.jpeg
I did meet those folks from the lodge, they even offered me lunch but I was headed for the last campsite of the trip. I had heard it doubles as a bear hunting site, and this was August so the baiting should be starting. I found the blue barrel used for baiting the bears out back under a tree stand (about the only thing those fugly things are good for imho), but it had cobwebs across the front so I knew the site was cold.
Lots of wind driven rain at the last camp,
DSC02299_Original.jpegDSC02308_Original.jpeg

I'm curious as to whether you found DEET to be effective against black flies.
I, honestly, can't say. I've never really sprayed myself with bug repellant very much before this trip so I have no basis of comparison. Even unsprayed, the bugs bit me but didn't bite me as much as they drove me nuts by swarming around me and getting inhaled as I was breathing heavily. Having said that, it's clearly "type 2 fun" and memories are subjective (we get into that in the wrap-up, IIRC) but I'd be willing to bet that I ate (or spit out) nearly as many as ate me.

They did seem to steer clear a bit with the Deet and, at one point (I think it was on this port), I know I sprayed my face with enough that my lips began to swell. (Another reason I avoid bug spray, my youngest daughter is allergic & Deet will almost hospitalize her)

Looking forward to the last instalment, that final port is no picnic!
You have a gift for understatement.

Unfortunately, unlike the Steel River trip, there was no way to cheat on this one. The price of admission here is paddling some massive lakes and doing 2 brutal portages in order to get out. (Again, something I get into during the wrap-up but following routes used to "build character" in teenagers may be a questionable decision in itself)

Incidentally, I think Cheryl was a bit disappointed in me for going around the Diablo portage. (for a minute, I thought she might demand & rip up my man card). She seemed very surprised that I'd avoided it and said that it was something worth doing once. She did, however, seem interested in the route that goes around it so maybe not more than once.

Lots of wind driven rain at the last camp,
Based on your picture, I wasn't in the right area for that last camp. There wasn't much dry ground where I was looking and only a couple of trees in a large, grassy area. As stated, however, I didn't look all that hard and, although I wasn't expecting anything like the welcome that I received, I'm very pleased that it worked out they way that it did. I suspect that my "final campsite on Meta Lake" will be used as a yardstick in future TRs. (now I just need to find the low point... UGH.)

Last edited:
Day 7

DSCN3107.JPG

(I still find it odd to see a US flag in Canada but Cheryl says John, as well as many of their guests, are from the states and she likes the welcoming, international vibe of both flags… any way, on with the story...)

Not surprisingly, I slept better than I had all trip (although the island site 2 nights prior was close). I piled the sheets on the coffee table, moved gear to the porch and had just swept the cabin when Cheryl and her pup stopped by to invite me up to the lodge for coffee.

I happily took her up on that and spent too much time enjoying the coffee and listening to John & Cheryl tell stories. Many of them centered around her father who, it seems, has lived a truly remarkable life.

I finally pushed off around 8am as the wind was picking up & it was threatening rain. As I paddled toward the portage, I realized that I’d forgotten to sign the guest log… I always sign trail logs on backpacking trips but I'd never seen one on a canoe trip... maybe next time.

DSCN3112.JPG

I was, once again, glad that I’d gotten the weather I had the previous day as I’d have been wind bound on Ara for sure.

I was also pleased that the decision to paddle on from the outpost camp had worked out as the chop that was developing as I paddled toward the portage was not something I’d have liked to endure for 6 km.

As the lake narrowed to the inlet stream, the water settled down but it started raining.

DSCN3115.JPG

I paddled on looking for the portage sign that Cheryl had said marked the exit and found that the tree was, indeed, still standing (she’d seemed a little in doubt when she told me about it).

I still had a bit of trouble finding which direction the portage went from the landing so I scouted the shoreline back & forth, eventually finding a yellow, plastic twist tie on the ground and some flagging tape further up into the woods.

I hung the twist tie from a tree and cleared a little Alder so it was more visible from the landing, shouldered my pack & headed for the truck.

DSCN3119.JPG

I found the portage to be as Cheryl had described it: long (2 km, 1 ¼ miles or 398 rods), swampy, buggy and miserable and I found 4 different places where I had to clear small trees that had fallen across the trail. I was almost grateful for these as they afforded an opportunity to drop the pack but, of course, the bugs seemed to be thicker as soon as I stopped moving.

By the time I reached the road, I was, once again, tempted to just leave the canoe and let MNR tote it away from the shore but, after walking to the truck (the two portage trails are not across from each other but, instead, are about 2/10ths of a mile [300 meters or so] apart), I found that I didn’t have the keys.

They were, of course, in the pack that I carry with the canoe so I had no choice but to return to the Meta landing.

DSCN3124.JPGDSCN3122.JPG

On the return, I discovered the reason for the portage sign that was seemingly in the middle of the woods.

I’d wondered about it on the first carry but, as I was returning, I realized how easily I’d have followed the hollow that I was in and walked right past the trail.

Happily, someone had marked the turn-off much better than they had the split at the trapper’s cabin.

DSCN3131.JPG

The advantage of carrying the canoe, of course, was that it could be dragged through the swampiest sections and it offered protection from the rain.

On both carries, however, I was pleased to see an old tire on the right of the trail as no one would take a tire very far into the woods and I knew that the road was close.

DSCN3142.JPG

In all, double portaging took about 4 very wet, bug-infested hours. I think it’s Bill Mason who is often credited with saying that “portaging is like hitting your head; it feels SO good when you stop”... I couldn’t agree more at that point.

The second time across the portage, however, I actually had the truck keys and, when I opened the door, there in the middle of the seat was the launcher for the bear (and moose?) bangers. I hopped in, fired it up and started down the road to pick up my stuff.

I hadn’t gotten far, however, when something felt horribly wrong & I had to get out to see if I had a flat tire.

I did not, so I started looking further and discovered that the upper shock mount on the driver’s side rear spring had broken which allowed the spring to bounce undampened on the wash-boarded road.

It landed on the spare tire carrier when it fell so it wasn’t going anywhere and I wasn’t going to be able to fix it in the woods anyway so I hopped back in, loaded my stuff and drove a little more slowly on the way back to civilization.

DSCN3137.JPGIMG_20240807_201319415.jpg

I stopped in Aroland for fuel, turned onto 584 and, as I approached the area where I’d backtracked on the way up, I decided to stop & take one more look...

This was definitely not a questionable decision as, five minutes later I had found the missing dental prosthesis and was back on the road.

I stopped at the Rotiss-A-Fry in Geraldton for chicken and my first-ever poutine.

(it’s fries w/ cheese and brown gravy… I suppose it’s faster to write “Poutine” than “Fries with cheese and brown gravy” but still…)

It was very tasty.

Mem wasn't home (I think he was scouting some new canoe route) so I dropped the rain jacket off on the way past his house and then made my way back toward the border, stopping in Wawa for the night & again stopping at Voyaguer’s for coffee, a breakfast sandwich & a fritter on Tuesday morning. (yeah, they’re that good)

DSCN3149.JPG

As I neared Sault Ste Marie, I stopped at a gas station that also sold sporting goods and, on a whim, asked if they sold bear bangers (I can’t get them in PA). Indeed he did, so I bought some for myself and some extras in case my friend Cathy wanted to carry some on her searches with the Fowler O’Sullivan Foundation (better safe than sorry and I’d think, in a pinch, they could even bang a lion, right?)

I crossed the border into Michigan where the crossing guard didn’t think it unusual at all that I’d gone camping and fishing in Ontario (he must watch better TV stations) and I was soon passing everything but a gas station as I retraced my path home.

DSCN3156.JPG

The closer I got to home, the heavier the traffic became and, as the houses got closer together, I started wondering if the bugs had really been all that bad…

Maybe I shouldn’t have been such a sissy or perhaps I could have worn more Deet…

I think I might prefer bugs to people but I realize, also, that those feelings may very well be situational… I’ll try to update you again after the next trip North but that will, almost certainly, not be until 2025.

DSCN3157.JPGDSCN3152.JPGDSCN3127.JPGDSCN3140.JPG

(wrap-up & final thoughts on the trip tomorrow)

I believe I was in Kenora at the time of your return, which is around a 8 or 9 hour drive from G-Town. I had found that tire in the bush and threw it at the turn point of the port, and then hung a sign at the junction. Beyond the tire is an old skidoo trail which will lead one into a land of bug infested quagmires and suffering. Many people have made the mistake by paddling to far up the stream and then connecting with the skidoo trail, assuming it is the port. I had thought the bugs were done after a very pleasant overnighter last week, but on Saturday night I was launching the canoe from my back yard, and my wife and I got chewed to ribbons in under two minutes. It's one of those years.

All the better to bite into chicken and poutine.
Purely cosmetic but that's ok. I'm just pleased to save the money a replacement would have cost. Always better things to spend on than temporary cosmetics IMO. (I have friends who would have repainted the replacement parts of the Ranger too but I never will)

Honestly, I just thought it was so cool to have found everything that I'd lost this trip. If I hadn't, it probably would not have made the story at all.

my wife and I got chewed to ribbons in under two minutes. It's one of those years.
OK, maybe they were as bad as my trip notes indicated... sure seems like I should have toughed them out better once I'm back home and at work.

Anyway... Let's wrap this up:

Hindsight being 20/20, I’ll have to try to remember to be more careful when getting maps off of a self-proclaimed masochist. Although I think this trip would have been far more enjoyable without the bugs (I think I mentioned that the bugs were pretty bad), this really was an awesome trip but, in many ways, I think it was tougher than the Steel River had been (especially the last two portages).

I really wish I’d have done it in late August / early September when the days were cooler and the blackflies were done.

Comparing this to the Steel River, I found the scenery more diverse on the Steel but the fishing superior on this trip. I had a lot more luck seeing wildlife on this trip and, given the state of the portage trails, the route seems to see only a fraction of the traffic that the Steel does.

There was a lot more flat water paddling on this route and camping possibilities in many areas are limited due to the huge, marshy areas on either side of the rivers.

I would not hesitate to do either of them again but, honestly, the most likely to get a “do over” is this one, simply because the fishing was so good and I really didn’t feel like I took the time to enjoy all that this one had to offer.

I’m still not at all a fan of huge lakes and, if I return, I’ll make sure I have the Raven done or bring something with a little more freeboard so the large lake crossings are a little less sketchy (the Freedom solo has about 10 inches loaded as it was). I certainly won’t count on catching Ara in the same mood as this trip but I wouldn’t even attempt that big bugger on a day with serious chop.

Another option: If one were to paddle the route during bug season, it would be helpful to have a tandem canoe paddled backwards. The portage thwart, being already installed, would minimize bug time at the landings and you could grab & go much faster than tying on paddles or installing a portage thwart.

Speaking of “loaded as it was”… I’ve got to stop taking so much food. I rarely eat lunch in my daily life and, when in the woods, it seems that I’m far more likely to skip meals so why am I taking enough that I have supper options and food for an extra week?

In this case, because I completed the loop in 7 days instead of 12, I brought back far more food than I ate.

I’m not sure what’s next… maybe a train ride to the far side of Wabakimi or bushwhacking a trail through crown land as Mem suggested over the beers (I’m pretty frugal so crown land camping has a lot of appeal). Maybe something further West in Saskatchewan or try a route lost to history.

IMG_20240715_091620914_HDR.jpg

Whatever it is, I’ll post it here. Probably with entirely too many pictures but, hey, what can ya do? I’ll probably get lost at least once and lose something too… might even find it again.

Until then, get out when you can and Godspeed to all.

DSCN2149.JPG
DSCN2201.JPG
DSCN2209.JPG
DSCN2382.JPG
DSCN2616.JPG
IMG_20240719_205242317_HDR.jpg

I’m not sure what’s next
I’m still not at all a fan of huge lakes
I found the scenery more diverse on the Steel

Thanks again, Steve. I prefer rivers, really dislike big lakes and love variegated scenery, especially to be surrounded by heights of land, cliffs and preferably mountains. I don't know much about Canada, which is far more watery and wildernessy than the USA, but I've found that kind of paddling in parts of the Adirondacks, Maine, and the American west and northwest.

I did not, so I started looking further and discovered that the upper shock mount on the driver’s side rear spring had broken which allowed the spring to bounce undampened on the wash-boarded road.

It landed on the spare tire carrier when it fell so it wasn’t going anywhere and I wasn’t going to be able to fix it in the woods anyway so I hopped back in, loaded my stuff and drove a little more slowly on the way back to civilization.

Did you drive all the way home with the broken shock mount?

Thanks for the great write up. I enjoyed following along "live" and then reading "the rest of the story" as someone famous once said.

Thank you for taking the time to share this cool adventure, I enjoyed it and the pics very much.
Since you built the boat, and this trip was diverse( lakes, rivers, portages, wind and weather) how do you feel the boat performed. And are there things you would try ti incorporate or modify in a future build.
Hats off to you on this adventure!

Did you drive all the way home with the broken shock mount?
Yep. I just had to be a little more careful on the bumpier sections (like Pennsylvania). I bought replacements for both sides when I got home & replaced the rusted out one by the weekend. The other will probably get drilled out and replaced over Labor Day.

how do you feel the boat performed.
I like the Freedom solo for smaller lakes and, as stated in the Steel River report wrap-up, I wouldn't hesitate to take it back to the BWCA. I do not care for it in moving water and it got hung up in the rapids this trip (on day 4 or 5) and I'm sure that I cracked one of the strips. No biggie as I'm sure it will be OK as long as I don't hit hard again in that same spot but I'll try hard to have another build done before I do another river trip.

As I mentioned, I also thought the free board was a little lean for lakes the size of Ara and Meta. I was very fortunate to catch Ara on such a calm day but wouldn't want to have to rely upon such fortune in the future.

I've got some catching up to do on home / vehicle repairs and then I'll finish the Raven build that I started last spring and, hopefully, build one more (two total) this winter. I need to have a more versatile boat for some of the trips I'm considering next year.

I'm very pleased that people enjoyed the story. I enjoy writing them and it's always a pleasure to know it's appreciated.

Thanks for getting that report out so quickly, it was highly enjoyable, I'm a bit let down there is no new chapter this morning, lol. As far as I know, you are only the fifth person or group on the loop this summer, and there have been only three people/group who have dome the whole loop. Me and chainsaw Rob consider it one of the routes worth keeping open, so we will be back at it clearing ports next spring.

Yes, it was a great report, I followed your tracking every day and then enjoyed the text and pictures of the report itself. Thanks for letting me join in with comparison images and my thoughts.
My days of doing a trip like this are over, so it meant a lot to me to reminisce.
Thank You

Back