• Happy Collect Rocks Day! 🪨🥌💎

Marshall Lake loop- NW Ontario (July 2024)

Me and chainsaw Rob consider it one of the routes worth keeping open, so we will be back at it clearing ports next spring.
I wish I had more vacation time or could figure out a way to retire... I would love to help out clearing the portages (and, maybe build a bridge or twelve in those really swampy sections). I agree that the loop is worth keeping open and worth doing even though the price of admission (last 2 ports) is high.

My days of doing a trip like this are over, so it meant a lot to me to reminisce.
Glad you came along. Your previous trips were one of the deciding factors for me to do this loop (and my boat weighs less :D) I thought the additional pictures and notes added a lot to the TR too.

Thanks for your (and mem's) additions.

PS: @memaquay, I'm out of maps and open to ideas...

Outstanding TR, very enjoyable reading and viewing. As a frugal canoeist you may want to consider a trip in Manitoba - no crown land camping fees.

You mentioned you stayed in Wawa, I stayed at the “Outdoorsman Motel” there this spring, very nice room, recently remodeled, nice Canadian owners.
Wawa, so nice they named it twice.

Fun fact - when I lived up north, I learned that the Anishinaabe word for snow goose was we'we, pronounced way-way, Wawa is known for it's big goose statue, so I can only assume that the town was named for the snow goose, but ended up pronouncing the word wrong, and erecting a statue of the wrong type of goose.

A buddy of mine was from Beinfait, Saskatchewan. In French, Bein fait means well done, and the town derived it's name from it's original French inhabitants. https://frenchtogether.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/bienfait.mp3 The later anglais settlers interpreted the pronunciation as "Bean Fate", and that is how the town name is said to this day.

All these historical shenanigans makes me wonder if we will ever even actually know what the real dimensions of the first prospector canoe. Or if it was actually called "prospecteur", which is the label Esquif gives to theirs.

Apologies for thread drift.

Some politician was probably responsible for the goose erection and that's why it's screwed up. (nothing wrong with a good thread drift IMO)

...you may want to consider a trip in Manitoba...
Looks like a nice cluster of lakes NE of Lake Winnipeg but most of those babies look really big.

Ontario fishing license & outdoor card are good for one more year so, if I can afford it, I'll return to Ontario again in 2025. I'll certainly look into Manitoba in the future though, thanks!

Back