• Happy National Sober Day! 🚫🍸🍺🍷🛑

The Square Stern Build

Ya, tried them when I went to T Bay a couple of weeks ago, no luck. Someone told me about a guy outside of Hearst who is cutting lots of cedar right now, might have to call him.

I guess that means Christy needs to bring her Y-stern to the party.
You trying to get me drunk? But yeah, I'll drink to that too.
A y-stern meet would be pretty cool. But there's no friggn' way I'm portaging them into Marshall. lol
I wonder what a launch from the bridge would be like? Downstream to the Hilton and onwards to a couple lakes?
Actually, they would be great on Marshall too.

No, I don't want to be towed, but a ride would be pretty cool. I wish I had one of these. I see outboards around for sale and think "When would I ever use one?" A flat back stripper would be different altogether. I can see it in my future maybe.

Mem....I have had decent luck at Home Depot finding 4x4 cedar posts that were mostly clear. 8-10 footers. Sometimes 2x6's too. You might have to troll the lumber yards for some. If you knew someone coming this way we could hook you up.

No, I don't want to be towed, but a ride would be pretty cool. I wish I had one of these. I see outboards around for sale and think "When would I ever use one?" A flat back stripper would be different altogether. I can see it in my future maybe.

how about towing them when the motors give up the ghost

I found a Y stern for sale this morning, not far from our son. And son has a nice large garage to store it for daddy, if he'd be willing to. Now if only I could scrape together $1,500 without hearing "You bought a canoe when I'm driving a 15 year old car!?" Too many ifs in this equation, I'll wait for another day.

Motors breaking down; I wonder if those highfalutin square sterners will remember to carry paddles with them?

Last edited:
Ok, so slow and steady, blah blah blah. Been helping a buddy build a chestnut Pal too, so I'm not racing ahead on the square stern.

This is the third Pal I've built. Ordered the fiberglass and cloth for both our canoes yesterday. Ouch. Almost cheaper to buy!

Anyway, I got the flaming steamer of death out and steamed the stems for my SS (Square stern).

I really like steaming, it's just so satisfying, feeling that wood give as you slowly bend it. Used white pine for my stems.

If I stay off the Bud Lite this weekend, I might get the strips started, but lately every weekend has to be somebodies birthday, and they all gotta celebrate like they ain't gonna have a next one.

I thought those plans looked like a Pal but I never asked them. I bought some Pal plans from Stewart River this winter which I plan to build in the coming year. It would be interesting to compare the two someday

Mark.

You know, I'm not sure now if I got the plans from Carrying Place or Stewart River. I know I did order some plans from Alex, maybe it was the Pal.

Ok, so finally getting enough real work done to start on the things I like. Started stripping the SS tonight.

Using one inch strips, sure is nice for the straight parts, really speeds things up. I've got some really wide 1.5 strips to fill in the bow.

I struggled with the idea of the transom for quite a while. Finally ended up laminating two 3/4 inch pieces of finished plywood together. It's goiing to add quite a bit of weight, but it will be solid.

Hopefully I'll be able to move a little faster now!

this is really cool. In my neck of the woods these square backs are ideal for fishing and camping fairly deep into Everglades National Park when you don't have the luxury of taking a week or two off. A little sub 5hp motor adds a huge dimension to your range, esp against inconvenient tides and wind, making for a great adventure compressed into a few days.

Looks good, I think that canoe will really fit the bill in the fall with canvas tent and wood stove.

It's going good. Is there a rear stem?? If you have a rear stem and two brackets at the top it makes the transom a lot more solid. Just an idea. I am toying with the idea of turning our 16 foot Crestliner hull into a form for making Peterborough boats.

Finally making some progress. Hope to cut the centre line tonight and have planking finished by Saturday.

She's a big girl, pics don't really do justice. Switched over to white pine for the bottom, mostly because it was the easiest wood to find up here, and already finished and knot free.

Looking good. What has the stripping process been like so far? Is that bilge turn as sharp as it looks?

Alan

Less than 60 strips to cover the transom. Good !
Did you bead and cove the wider strips ?
Looks Sweet !

Back