• Happy National Scotch [Whisky] Day! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🥃🚱

Ranger Project Completed

Reaction score
It took me 20 months from start to finish but my 15' Ranger cedar strip is finally done. I've attached a video compilation of pictures I took during the process which may help new builders like myself or those contemplating a build.

Looks gorgeous, and the video was tightly edited to be complete but to the point.

What are all the dimensions of a Ranger and what is its final weight?

And welcome to first post site membership, Compass!

Looks gorgeous, and the video was tightly edited to be complete but to the point.

What are all the dimensions of a Ranger and what is its final weight?

And welcome to first post site membership, Compass!
Thank you Glen, My Ranger is 15' long and has a beam of 35-1/4". She weighs just under 60# but I think I overbuilt a bit with thick cherry wood decks and thwart and brass stem bands. I registered on this site a while back but got the feeling that it was more geared towards paddlers than builders so, yes, this is my first post here but will be spending more time here now that I am paddling.

Welcome, and congrats on your completed canoe. Speaking for myself, I enjoy build posts as much as paddling posts. I'll look forward to seeing your canoe in her natural element.

It's beautiful. I'd never have the patience. And I'd be scared to paddle it.

Interesting your take on this site as more paddlers than builders. Of the half dozen canoe sites I visit, I think of this one as emphasizing building.

It's beautiful. I'd never have the patience. And I'd be scared to paddle it.

Interesting your take on this site as more paddlers than builders. Of the half dozen canoe sites I visit, I think of this one as emphasizing building.
Thank you. I don't remember why I didn't think that this was a builder's site but I did find a Facebook group whose main focus was pretty much on cedar strip canoe and kayak building so I spent a lot of time there. I have very little (almost none) experience with paddling so I'm hoping I can learn some things here.

Wonderful video and beautiful canoe!! Looks like you did Gilpatrick-style seats?

One hint, when you paddle it solo and empty, instead of sitting in the stern seat facing the bow, sit in the bow seat facing "backwards" (i.e. towards the "stern"). This will put your weight closer to center and the canoe won't pop such a wheelie and since the canoe is symmetrical it doesn't care that you've made the bow the stern.

Congratulations ! Very nice build and video, Compass !

I always love seeing a new stripper build !

Jim

I'm not a canoe builder or restorer, but I enjoy reading those threads, and I really think this site has become the best canoe building, restoring and outfitting discussion-with-pictures site on the internet. I'll plead ignorance about Facebook.

Wonderful video and beautiful canoe!! Looks like you did Gilpatrick-style seats?

One hint, when you paddle it solo and empty, instead of sitting in the stern seat facing the bow, sit in the bow seat facing "backwards" (i.e. towards the "stern"). This will put your weight closer to center and the canoe won't pop such a wheelie and since the canoe is symmetrical it doesn't care that you've made the bow the stern.
Thanks alsg, You are spot on about the Gilpatrick seats. The rest of the canoe is all Canoecraft. I appreciate the tip about paddling from the bow seat and I look forward to trying it.

Congratulations ! Very nice build and video, Compass !

I always love seeing a new stripper build !

Jim
Thanks Jim! I think that you were one of the first builders to encourage me on another forum when I first started so maybe I can pay it forward now.

Back