• Happy Birthday, Grandma Moses (1860-1961)! 🎨🖌️🖼️

New seat design.

Reaction score
On my latest composite build, I made a seat design change .

I have always used straight bars between the front and back rails on my Snow shoe corded seats.
A while back I made a bench, that the top was rounded , like a log.
It was very comfortable, and so I thought I would modify my seat frames to simulate that comfortable log bench.

Soon I will get the chance to spend a full day on the water with this new seat.

Here are some closer pics of the seat.
IMG_4223.JPG

IMG_4226.JPG

I will tighten the cords a little on my next one.
Another thing I liked about this seat, is I could shift my weight, fore or aft, for hull trimming, and it was still comfortable.
It also works if you want to heel the hull, to one side, and still be comfortable.
I posted this, so others can try it on their canoes.

Last edited:
Will be interested in your long term review.

Have you considered doing it with the short sides bowed down (like the long pieces)?

I think he’s on the right track- bowing the sides up lifts the woven suspension somewhat above the front and rear edges so your weight is borne by the suspension and not the frame. I’m very interested to see how that works, and then my next thought is- make the suspension full width for wider seating options.

I have always used straight bars between the front and back rails on my Snow shoe corded seats.
It was very comfortable, and so I thought I would modify my seat frames to simulate that comfortable log bench.

IMG_4223.JPG

IMG_4226.JPG

Another thing I liked about this seat, is I could shift my weight, fore or aft, for hull trimming, and it was still comfortable.
It also works if you want to heel the hull, to one side, and still be comfortable.
You make a pretty seat.

That looks like a proper canoe seat. I am tired of wicker seats. The black webbing is pretty good, but yours is superior in every way.

IMG_4223.JPG

IMG_4226.JPG

Here is a pic, of my old seats, just for reference.

IMG_2548_zpsqcfktpqk.jpg

Will be interested in your long term review.

Have you considered doing it with the short sides bowed down (like the long pieces)?
As others have stated, bow down on the sides, would lessen the comfort, in my thinking. Always good to try something different.

The Snow shoe cord works great, but I think webbing would be fine also.

All I can say is it worked for the Egyptians.

Jim,
Is that nylon cord? Or nylon tube stretched flat?
Looks like you have varnish on the cord?
Too many years ago, I made a dozen or so seats woven with synthetic snowshoe lacing…neoprene outer layers with a center layer of nylon, tough, comfortable and durable. The place that supplied that lacing is long gone and I have yet to find another source for the same stuff.
Your lacing looks to be the next best alternative
Beautiful seat and it looks really comfortable
Thanks for sharing

Stripper guy
The Snow shoe cord is a flat tube. Incredible strength.
Yes, it is varnished with Spar urethane. I thin the first coat, and really work it into the lacing, for good saturation. It shrinks the cord some, so I lace the seats a little loose. 1/2" size cord from these guys. I bought a big roll years ago. Takes roughly 50' of cord for a seat.
Snow shoe cord

I, for one, would love to hear a use report for this new idea, @Jim Dodd !

On the subject of the Thebes stool, I looked at some of the dimensions. Given how low the seat dips (The upper corners are about 14.75") I suspect that in use it was more like a low squat: Feet flat on the ground, close to the stool, with the knees drawn up toward the chest. A very different pose than our even lower canoe seats, where we want our legs out straightish for bracing and mass control!

Back