• Happy Birthday, Chuck Berry (1926-2017)! 🎸

New seat design.

Thanks Alan
I’m sure Jim will chime in soonly, and maybe even include some dimensions WRT height of arch and about of droop

Just made it home from the BWCA tonight. I'll try and fix tomorrow.

Your new seat design reminds me of Swift seats. Swift seats have the hump further forward; my guess is that it is intended to help keep you from sliding forward and it also takes some of your weight off the leading edge of the seat which can be a pain point for kneelers. I'd be curious to hear how you like your design. Some folks hate the Swift seats; I like them but not enough to put Swift seats in my other solos.
PXL_20241005_144218163.MP.jpg

Your new seat design reminds me of Swift seats. Swift seats have the hump further forward; my guess is that it is intended to help keep you from sliding forward and it also takes some of your weight off the leading edge of the seat which can be a pain point for kneelers. I'd be curious to hear how you like your design. Some folks hate the Swift seats; I like them but not enough to put Swift seats in my other solos.
View attachment 143728

Yes, I would assume the Swift seat is intended to create more of a down slope on the front quarter/edge of the seat to make it more comfortable for kneelers. It doesn't look like it would be all that comfortable for sitters, but I've never tried one.

I have no problem seeing my pics. Photobucket did a recent up date. I'll try and post pics again, and see if it works.

I have no problem seeing my pics. Photobucket did a recent up date. I'll try and post pics again, and see if it works.

I can see them fine now so whatever you did must have worked. Thanks and hope you had a great trip!

Alan

I couldn't see the pictures in your OP two days ago. There were just blank squares. I now can see them.

I'll repeat myself and Alan, much more bluntly than I usually do: For anyone in their golden years, this site will likely outlive you, and no one will be keeping your third party photo site alive after you're not. So, if you want the pictures in your posts and threads to outlive you, download them to your device and then upload them to our server. Yes, it takes about 20 seconds instead of 5 seconds.

Hey Jim,
Thanks for fixing those photos, I know I saw them when first posted, but they somehow disappeared
I suppose you’re busy composing a trip report from your time in the BWCA, I’m looking forward to hear about it

Here is a link (I hope) to my original seat thread.
canoe seat
I used the same dimensions, except I arch the braces, using the same curve as the rails.

As far as an improvement ?
I wouldn't say it's not huge, but I will make all my seats this way, and plan to replace some of my old ones.
I will also string my cord a little tighter.

I have used the same sizing on all my frames, so one portage yoke fits all.

Jim

Back