• Happy Birthday, Chuck Berry (1926-2017)! 🎸

Where Are All The Canoes?

What has surprised me was when the first SUP entered the Adirondack 90 miler a few years ago. He was absolutely last to cross the finish line on the final third day, but he got a rousing applause (in part because finally now the awards ceremony could begin). Since then there have been more entries, with slightly better time results.

Then even more unbelievable, SUPS were allowed to enter the Yukon 1000 mile race. The Y1K is totally unsupported externally and all racers must carry all food and gear they need with them for the entire time of the trip, which is normally up to 2 weeks for slower boats. Although, like any other solo paddler, they must travel in pairs for safety. I know there have been days (even more than one day), when they have been weather bound due to high winds as canoes and sea kayaks easily paddled past them.
I waited all day to see any SUP paddlers as I manned my safety boat outpost the Saturday of the 90-miler, and didn't see any. Were there any entries for SUP this year? I imagine it is a tough race for the SUPers, standing most of the time.

I waited all day to see any SUP paddlers as I manned my safety boat outpost the Saturday of the 90-miler, and didn't see any. Were there any entries for SUP this year? I imagine it is a tough race for the SUPers, standing most of the time.
yes, there was one SUP finisher.

I started this thread after a cross country trip across the southern tier of the United States, South Carolina to California, and now have just returned from a two week trip to Maine. I can say that I noticed a higher percentage of cars with canoes in the north-east than on the trip out west, but an even higher percentage of cars with kayaks or SUPs (Can an SUP really be called a boat?). It appears that the "immediate gratification" of these easier-to-use boats helps in garnering a greater number of new boaters, but hopefully as these boaters get out on the water they will also bring a greater awareness when it comes to protecting our waters and watersheds. A louder voice is always handy politically and perhaps we can educate some of these new paddlers to the beauty and joys of the open canoe.

Back