• Happy Birthday, Grandma Moses (1860-1961)! 🎨🖌️🖼️

Sawyer Guide Special Canoe - restoration tips

Reaction score
I inherited the Sawyer Guide Special model I grew up paddling. I'm not sure if it's fiberglass or Kevlar.

There is a gash in the stern through the hull.
Some 'ribs' are missing from the 'floor'.

I can't determine what type of resin and mesh to use.

IMG_3262.jpegIMG_3263.jpegIMG_3264.jpeg

I'm sure that hull was built with glass, no kevlar, and either polyester or vinylester resin.
Just about any epoxy resin will bond well to the hull, as long as you sand and clean the areas. It looks like that hull has been painted, maybe more than once. Be sure to remove all of the paint before trying to stick anything to the hull.
I prefer, and many others here use epoxy resin from RAKA, their RAKA 900 medium viscosity resin with 608 medium hardener would work nicely. It's reasonably priced too.
For cloth, a little bit of 6 oz for the outside layers, and a bunch of 10 oz for the inner layers.
Maybe 3 layers of 10 oz inside and a single layer of 6 oz to blend in for the outer layer.
Probably gonna need to cut out the most severely damaged area.
It might be tough to replicate the original hull shape...you might be able to put some wax paper on the outside, backed up with foam or even cardboard, to roughly replicate the hull form. Apply a couple layers of glass on the inside, overlapping a couple inches all around to the undamaged areas. Once that cures, you can apply a layer of 6 oz to the outside. It's gonna take some effort, and multiple coats of resin to blend in the repair. An autobody repair long board sander would work, cheapo versions at Harbor Freight under $20. Once you have some semblance of a hull shape, you can flex the repair to see if it feels about as stiff as the rest of the hull, if not, add another inner layer or two.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Back