• Happy Collect Rocks Day! 🪨🥌💎

Re-webbing a seat

Reaction score
I’m convinced the my swift seat is webbed too loose. I can also see that relieving the corners on the seat frame would be helpful for comfort. Is this something one does themselves or should I send her out for a pro stretcher?

Maybe you could try removing the staples from one end of a strap and see if you can pull it tighter then restaple it, one strap at a time.

This thread has a helpful discussion about installing seat webbing:

The one time I tried installing webbing on a canoe seat it didn't come out nearly tight enough. After trying the seat out, I unfastened one end of each strap and was able to pull it tighter. The webbing I used was polypropylene, not nylon which is known to stretch, but probably pre-stretching the webbing would have helped get it tighter the first time.

Is this something one does themselves or should I send her out for a pro stretcher?
I'd take a crack at it, I mean, why not? If you can get it tight enough yourself, there's the satisfaction in being self-sufficient and, if you don't, the pro stretcher gets to earn their money and (possibly) gets some job satisfaction in knowing that they can do something that someone else couldn't... win/win, right?

Besides, lots of folks here have webbed their own seats for builds & repairs... just start a thread (or use this one), detail where you're at and, if you get stuck, ask. You'll get lots of ideas on how to fix it.

You could make or buy a webbing stretcher. Here is one version that doesn’t poke holes in the webbing.
Search webbing stretchers and you will find many options to help with the task. Sheet metal bending vise grips would work also.
Jim

I’m wondering if those stretchers require new (longer) webbing straps, or if they can restretch the old stuff? Seems like it would need a tail and be trimmed after stapling.

Last edited:
Back