• Happy Collect Rocks Day! 🪨🥌💎

New fading

Reaction score
I didn’t search too long, but never found anything truly related to my question. I picked this canoe up in January or February, straight from NS this year and it seems to almost have fading only on the bottom of the hull. It doesn’t get hit by UV for long periods throughout the day, and the trees surrounding it don’t drop any sort of residue. And I never waxed or used any sort of cleaner/spray on it other than 303 over the whole exterior.

It was a little tricky to get a good photo, but should I not worry much about this or throw a marine wax on it?

Attachments

• IMG_2236.jpeg
    IMG_2236.jpeg
    184 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2235.jpeg
    IMG_2235.jpeg
    162.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2234.jpeg
    IMG_2234.jpeg
    127.2 KB · Views: 24
fading only on the bottom of the hull

By "fading" do you mean the bottom is losing its sheen and getting a bit foggy looking?

If so, I'd guess either the resin or gel coat is reacting somehow to the water. I'd try rubbing a small spot with acetone to see if that would wipe away any sort of resin blush. Secondly, I'd try applying and wiping off some Flood Penetrol, which can rejuvenate (temporarily for a few months) UV oxidation. You wipe the Penetrol off after just a few minutes.

Thank you Glen, and yes, that’s exactly what I meant. I wasn’t sure if it was the UV or something else. Seemed odd for the sun to have taken the shine away so quickly.

I’ll give those a try and see what happens

Back