• Happy Birthday, Annette Funicello (1942-2013)! 🐭🍍🩱

Moose

On a pack trip with horses in Wyoming in 1988 during the Yellowstone fires, we woke up the first morning in a beautiful campsite in Absaroka Range near the S Fork of the Shoshone River. After breakfast, we were drinking coffee when a cow and a calf walked right through our camp within 5 feet our campfire. She quietly went down to the river for a drink and then walked in the same path going back the other way. She was clearly not the least bit afraid of humans. We got out of the way both times. That is as close as I have been to moose, except for the habituated ones in Yellowstone.

I think the idiot bear tried to grab the baby w/ Mommy a bit too close. (Sure sounds like you can hear it cry out at the 25 second mark right before mom goes ballistic)

This is a prior video where the bear scouts out the mother and two babies. The YouTuber says the bear got one of the babies, and the video Alan posted is a later time when the bear is going for the second baby and gets repelled.

Paddling with some friends on the Androscoggin in NH. Got a late start, so they were waiting for me at the put in in Errol. Speed limit on Route 16 up to Errol is 30 miles/hour, with lots of signs warning of moose crossing. I was stuck behind a van going the speed limit. When I got a chance to pass I did, and took off up the road. Not more than a mile away I came around the corner to moose standing in the middle of the road. Jammed on the brakes and came to a stop about 10-feet away. The moose just stood there looking at me, then walked off into the woods. The van passed me with the driver shaking his head.

Close as I have come to a moose. The crew did wait for me.

Years ago when the kids were young we had one crash thru our campsite late at night. We'd stayed up earlier sitting around a fire listening to the wolfpack howling and felt closer to the wild. Hadn't imagined we could get closer than that. I bolted out the tent flap to investigate the ruckus and stood in my gotchies, our eldest son in his, and both stood watching the moonlight dance off the waters below us and the pretty pattern it made off the wake of a huge black beast emerging from the narrows on the other side. A little while later we heard the wolves howling again but it was hard to decide where they were; their echoes reflecting off the hillsides. It might've been the October chill, or maybe the thrill of the night, but I remember we both shivered. It was the good kind. That was as close as I've come to moose and would be happy if it stayed that way. We seldom trip in October anymore, the evenings feeling colder and damper than in our younger days. I also drive with way more caution after having driven by the carnage and wreckage of being in the wrong place at the wrong time at an impatient pace.

Back