• Happy Publication of "Star Spangled Banner" (1814)! 🚀💣🇺🇸

Canoe in the Snow

Here is a shot from a few years ago on the seldom traveled Indian river, a little SW of the blue line here in NYS

I've paddled the Indian that drains Indian Lake in the Moose River Plains, and seen the Indian that drains Brooktrout Lake in the West Canadas, but what?! Another Indian River?

I've paddled the Indian that drains Indian Lake in the Moose River Plains, and seen the Indian that drains Brooktrout Lake in the West Canadas, but what?! Another Indian River?

Yes it is another Indian river... outside the blue line.... this is up stream from Indian lake, (which lies inside the reservation) before it enters Ft Drum military res. I prefer the upstream ribbon. It's actually very similar to the 'O' in the headwaters. Just smaller. Lots of beaver dams and twisty flats

Last edited:
We've had a couple good snows this year but both were followed by mild weather. An uncharacteristic wet fall filled the river to nearly bank fall, leaving it still open while all the lakes are frozen. Add a new canoe into the equation and that makes for a good day to go canoeing.

20151206_003 by Alan, on Flickr

20151206_004 by Alan, on Flickr

Alan

I knew this was coming ! With all the snow you had, ours was all gone. Bummer.

How did Sadie like the Wildfire ?

Jim

I knew this was coming ! With all the snow you had, ours was all gone. Bummer.

How did Sadie like the Wildfire ?

Jim

She liked it just fine. Certainly not going to be a tripping boat for the two of us but fun to paddle.

Alan

Not a canoe in the snow - but how about a canoe in the rain with snow in the distant background? This is from my upriver trip on the nearby Snake yesterday. First time going up this stretch, which I have been down many times - but not my last. Actually, I was told that what I was experiencing as rain was falling as snow above the canyon rim.

Close enough !

I've enjoyed this thread ! Fun to see what others post !

Thanks Everyone !

Jim

Back