• Happy Debut of "I Love Lucy" (1951)! 📺👁💘⚽

A Short BWCA trip, with a stripper, Cedar that is

Reaction score
Sorry for the title !

Trip started Sept. 30th. drove 9 hrs to Ely, and spent a restful night at Canoe Country Outfitters, ally apartments. Great people, I've dealt with them, for over 30yrs.

Oct. 1, I was up early, and on the road to Lake One.
Saw a Black wolf along the road, close to the entry point.

Beings it was a Thursday, not a lot of vehicles in the parking lot. That was good, for Oct. 1.

My plan was to head West, to the Kawishiwi river. Two portages in, and grab the first open campsite. Wind had picked up, and I stayed close to shore. First campsite was open, and it fit my needs.

After camp was set, I fixed a meal, later on I went out to check out the lake.

There was a fire band, so no Indian television.
Turned in early, and listened to some Wolf music. A good night.

Oct.2 and the wind had let up, so a fishin I went. The Old Beetle spin failed me, until. I hit a little bay on the West end, with some hungry Smallies. They, three were fun, until my line tangled, big time on my spinning real. I only take one pole, so I spent at least an hour untangling. A light wind drifted me back towards camp, so I let the canoe drift, as I untangled line. Suddenly a big splash startled me. I couldn't see what had caused it, but moments later a beaver surfaced not far, down the lake. That mystery solved.

I was getting close to camp, and headed in for a meal.

I picked up some precooked, frozen shrimp, at Zups, gotta love that store ! The shrimp was to last, at least a couple of meals. If they weren't good, the plan was to try them as bait, the next day.

Half a package of shrimp with my Romen noodles, and I was full.
I always pack way too much food, but cookin, is a major part of the trip!

That night wasn't really that cold, but the bag I packed, was not cutting it. I broke out an extra blanket, that made it bearable.
By morning my Thermorest let me down, and my back was aching.

I listened to the weather radio, and they called for much cooler temps, at least 10 degrees cooler for the coming night.
After I worked my back into shape, I decided to pack for home.

It was a good time, up to that point, and I saw no need for this Old Geezer to suffer !

Here are a few pics.
Old Pearl handled the load, and me well with plenty of free board ! Fishing with one hand on the pole, and one on the paddle, I was able to easily maneuver her.

Here are some pics.

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_4365.JPG
    IMG_4365.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4370.JPG
    IMG_4370.JPG
    188.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4375.JPG
    IMG_4375.JPG
    206.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4380.JPG
    IMG_4380.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4392.JPG
    IMG_4392.JPG
    209 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4408.JPG
    IMG_4408.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4402.JPG
    IMG_4402.JPG
    183.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4413.JPG
    IMG_4413.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4417.JPG
    IMG_4417.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4420.JPG
    IMG_4420.JPG
    227.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4439.JPG
    IMG_4439.JPG
    185.9 KB · Views: 21
Sorry for the title !
Don't be. In the end, while the other kind are fun to think about, the stripper you took is more practical (and easier to explain at home)

Spinning reels seem to spontaneously barf line once in a while. That's one reason I always take 2 on a trip.

It was a good time, up to that point, and I saw no need for this Old Geezer to suffer
Wise. Glad you got out and enjoyed it.

Nice pictures too... Gary Hamer would be proud. :)

That sounds like a nice little trip, Jim. Wolves, fish, and paddling all in one day is a success!

I don't blame you for leaving early. Sleeping on the hard ground and sleeping when it's too cold are both not very enjoyable but when you add them together it can be miserable.

Alan

Jim,
I’ve done plenty of shortened trips, for one reason or another.
In the end, it’s just nice to be out in a canoe, sleeping under the stars. Wolf howls are quite the bonus!!
Nice pics, thanks for posting

I've learn not to rely on my fishing luck, but enjoy going through the motions !

Thinking next time, I'll pick up some fillets at Zups, but still buy the license.
Pretty hard to beat a good shore lunch!

I had planned to do some land based exploring. Next time !

Thanks guys !

Jim

Back