• Happy 1st Showing of a Color Photograph (1861)! 📷🎥🏳️‍🌈

Need suggestions for backcountry tent??

Reaction score
Hi,

I live in Newfoundland Canada and do canoe camping trips here. I have done quite a few trips and I currently use this tent. https://www.atmosphere.ca/en/pdp/ma...1jHWg_gEA2EGIggAVohoCzfkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I got it a few years ago on sale and it has served me well. Easy to set up, keeps the rain out and such. The issue I am having is that I do solo canoe trips and the tent footprint makes it hard for me to find a decent spot to set up my camp. It's not bad but I am looking for something smaller that will make it easier to find a camping spot. Some kind of one person tent I think. The places I go are rocky, covered in alders, trees, marshland and usually unhospitable. I need something that can reduce my footprint and make it a little easier to find a suitable spot. I am looking to cover some new ground and am concerned about finding places to set up. Also needs to be very rain proof, I can count on it raining while I'm out and need to stay dry.

Thanks,
Canoeflyfisher

I'm also a frequent solo tripper with a half dozen of those in Labrador. While Labrador generally has a lot of open areas and good beach camping there are times when compact is necessary for the reasons you mention.

My method of dealing with this is multiple tents! I'm not suggesting you go to the same extent......

- One large floorless bug/rain shelter (10'x10') or a 4-person tent with as much headroom as possible

- One 2-person tent, Marmot Sanctum (3 season) it's old and beginning to fall apart, I bought a replacement on eBay as it hasn't been made since about 2008 and while Marmot's are still nice tents they have caught the same ultralight disease most manufacturers are producing these days.

- Bivy Sack (outdoor research) mainly used as a supplement to my sleeping bag and to ensure my down bag never gets at all wet. In a real pinch I can just use the bivy sack alone but it's very uncomfortable especially when one has to "turtle" in inclement weather, one only needs a 6' x 2' spot for the bivy

- A 10 x 12 silnylon tarp for when the weather is nice and the bugs are minimal

I have considered using a solo backpacking ultralight and might actually use one if I didn't have all the other options. One thing I would not do is trip with just a solo tent, if you get windbound/stormbound the last thing you would want is to be trapped in a 1 person tent for 1 or 2 days even a 2 person tent can be miserable in those conditions.

After all, this is canoe tripping not backpacking, unless you are doing multiple rough portages there is no reason to skimp on the amount of gear!

I don't have any recommendations for a specific solo model or even brands as I have not surveyed that market in a very long time. Even if I could you will probably get many different recommendations, just like with boats we all have our favourites, usually the ones we use or have used in the past.

Only thing I can say is that I would stay away from newer "hi-tech" "super ultralight" models with fancy carbon poles, exotic materials, insufficient fly and for a solo tent you want the right combo of ventilation and wind/water proofness.

just like with boats we all have our favorites, usually the ones we use or have used in the past.
That's true - I can tell you about the one that I have - Alps Mountaineering Lynx 1

I hope to do some sea kayak camping sometime, and this tent packs up smaller than my usual canoe camping tent - an old Eureka Expedition. I have had it out a couple of times including once in a pretty good storm - stayed dry in the rain (although I did have an additional rain fly above the tent) and was stable in the wind with the additional guy lines. Headroom is fine, but it is narrow - kind of reminded me of sleeping in an MRI tube. The price was right and I'll use it when I need to, but I prefer a little more room.

With the vestibule extended, the footprint is not that much different than my Eureka Expedition (discontinued, but similar in design to the Timberline) that doesn't have a vestibule. I guess it doesn't matter if there are rocks and roots under the vestibule. The tent itself is definitely narrower.

Good luck.

I agree about space and, at least to me, the one-man tents just seem tiny. I use a 2-man MSR Hubba Hubba or a similarly sized Amazon cheapie which, honestly, seems to hold up pretty well. I also take a tarp for rain / wind bound days.

I use a two-man even on backpacking trips. The extra space (and a coffee pot) are my luxury items and I happily pay the weight penalty.

I agree about space and, at least to me, the one-man tents just seem tiny. I use a 2-man MSR Hubba Hubba or a similarly sized Amazon cheapie which, honestly, seems to hold up pretty well. I also take a tarp for rain / wind bound days.

I use a two-man even on backpacking trips. The extra space (and a coffee pot) are my luxury items and I happily pay the weight penalty.
This is about where I stand. Got a one-person Hubba and quickly decided it was just too small. Went back to the two-person version and am happy.

For the OP, I guess a hammock is out of the question? That's the usual fix, but it requires trees.

I like a 2 man tent for solo tripping. Plenty of room and a space for my dog.
Lots of good tents now. Spend the money.

I really like my Hilleberg Nallo tent, not bomb proof, no tent is safe from a bomb. However it is weather proof no matter what the weather conditions are. Hilleberg makes solo tents that I have considered, I think I’d like the Akto. Not inexpensive by any means, but I justify the cost by sleeping in a tent rather than a hotel room in 98% of my solo traveling nights. They come in stealth camp colors or bright red.

Last edited:
Many years ago I discovered hammock camping. I don't know your tree situation in Newfoundland, but if you camp in areas where you can find a couple of sturdy trees 11-17 feet apart, you might consider a hammock. In the Adirondacks I often had similar problems finding backcountry flat reasonable tent sites (I rarely camp at prepared designated cleared campsites). I have hung my hammock over wet marsh swamps, rocky steep slopes, thick hobble brush, blowdown broken tree debris, and all manner of sites where a tent would never work. When I paddled the Yukon 1000 mile race, there are no such suitable trees, so my race team and I used inexpensive, but sturdy wind resistrant Alps Mountaineering tents, often found on sale from backcountry.com (steepandcheap.com). They come in a variety of sizes and I do use one of them when I kmow I will to be at a designated campground site for whatever reason.

Last edited:
One thing I would not do is trip with just a solo tent, if you get windbound/stormbound the last thing you would want is to be trapped in a 1 person tent for 1 or 2 days even a 2 person tent can be miserable in those conditions.

I agree. I like to use a three person tent just for myself from among my various tents over the years. I can crouch up in it, bring a pack in, move around, sit up and read, and even cook when the weather is bad.

Nemo Losi 3.JPG

hammock camping

I've never tried a hammock, though I would if I were younger. Two questions.

How do you deal with the multi-day bad weather problem just discussed above if all you have is a hammock?

Other than gram weeniness on a multiple portage trip, why not bring a lightweight tent and hammock on a canoe trip so you can have the right tool for the right ground situation when in unexplored territories?

I too use a 2-person tent even when I am by myself. Mine's an MSR Elixir 2. I've had it for 2 or 3 years and have been pretty content with it so far; I'm sure you wouldn't mistake it for an expensive ultralight tent, but it seems thoughtfully designed, I felt it was well-priced (I got it on sale), and online reviewers gave it high marks for weatherproofness and durability. The floor of the Elixir 2 is specified at 84×50" (213×127 cm), which is on the small side for a 2-person tent and meaningfully more compact than your Marmot, but I can't say whether it's as small a footprint as you have in mind.

If you really want a 1-person tent, the 1-person version of mine (called the Elixir 1) might be worth considering; it has an 86×33" (218×84 cm) floor. I assume it has similar characteristics to my Elixir 2, but I have not used one and so can't comment on it myself (nor do I have a sense for how it compares to other 1-person tents).

How do you deal with the multi-day bad weather problem just discussed above if all you have is a hammock?

There are a range of over-tarps that are integral and come with the hammock, or you can purchase larger others of your choice to rig above the hammock. My Hennessey has its own tarp that is fine for light weather. I also have a somewhat larger sil-nylon tarp that will go over everything if I think I will be in moderate weather. I have never regretted choosing to trip with a hammock. If really heavy weather is forecast, may bring an even larger multii-tie out sil-nylon tarp that is more than adequate. Even the lightest option allows me to store my gear underneath and offers a dry place to sit, but to prevent mini-bear chew problems I will at do at least a minimal hang of my gear off the ground unless I am in known bear country when I take more protective measures for my food and geear.

When carry weight is not an issue and I know a tent is a reasonable site option, such as when I am working with a paddle-to Adirondack leanto repair/build crew (lean2Rescue) I also will opt for a 2 or 3-man tent. I like to be able to move around and sit upright. Few of the lightest solo tents allow this (although some do).

I use a CCS Lean 1+. It has a separate ground cloth that I often don't use when it's dry. It can also be spread around obstructions.

I think there are better options in heavy rain and wind but it does pack small and light and it's large and comfortable. I've slept 2 people plus a dog and some gear in it. I've been through a lot of inclement weather and I haven't died yet. I have found it frustrating at times but it's still the shelter I grab most of the time.

I've also slept with bushes and rocks when spots were limited.

20160821_292 by Alan, on Flickr

Alan

I use a eureka midori 1. It's a one person aluminum pole tent. 36" w by 88" L and 36" H. I like it, has good vestibules, and has good ventilation. I also am a fan of hammocks, but don't use them often on canoe trips. One of the main reasons is I find them not comfortable for "hanging out" (escaping mosquitoes, fiddling with gear, or hiding from rain). But that is not to say I don't find them very comfortable. As far as being lighter, that is debatable. When thinking light weight concepts, the three main reductions to consider is weight, volume/size, and piece count.
Hammocks systems are highly modifiable, especially tarp size, and strap length. Increase or decrease there size/length and weight changes fast. Then there are add ons like a ground sheet, under quilt protector, snake skins. Personally I love hammocks for hiking or peak bagging, but there is less down time doing those activitys.

One word about Eureka tents- Johnson worldwide is shutting down the entire Eureka line and stopped production on the tents last fall, they're also not making parts or repairs any more, so buying one could be a real crapshoot for warranty service or repair parts.

My equipment choices are tailored to the environment and my goals for the trip. Simplicity and efficiency are important to me. There are advantages and disadvantages to tent design. I prioritize my personal equipment requirements then choose accordingly.

I share your concern and when in rugged terrain I prefer a one person tent primarily for the small foot print provided. I like to stay on the move and a small tent simplifies camp setup and take down, it also provides adequate comfort and protection for sleeping. However, in addition to the small tent I include a tarp or separate shelter to cook in and comfortably spend time protected from extended wind or rain events. I only use the one person tent for sleeping and the separate shelter when conditions dictate.

I prefer single wall tents such as the Naturehike VIK 1 for the quick and easy setup, especially when it is raining. The primary disadvantage of single wall tents is condensation which I have learned to manage.

Last June we did a rigorous drift boat trip on the upper Klamath River. I got so tired I never set up a tent. Few bugs around and cool weather. I just rolled out a pad and a sl bag with my dog. My brother and his dog were nearby. We used the canopy of some Douglas fir and ponderosa pine trees to keep the dew off. Very liberating.

I bought a great Big Agnes solo tent, really light weight. Bad idea! It's to tight that I can't bring in my boots. I should have bought the 2 person tent like others have said, but the price sky rocketed.

Eureka Alpenlite XT 2 man for my shoulder season solo trips. Great ventilation and 2 nice vestibules provide great storage. Small footprint - I wouldn't want to sleep with anyone else - even Chick, but great for one person. This thing can be cinched down pretty tight against wind.

North Face Big Fat Frog for summer. Two person tent, mesh body that I often set up alone under a tarp. Can squeeze in a pretty tight space but you can do better.

Neither made anymore, but I have had a couple of surprises finding brand new, but a couple of years old product by calling the manufacturer. Nice discounts too.

If I came across either one I would buy again in a heartbeat, but I doubt I'll need any more tents. I am more then happy to bring a my Eureka No Bug Zone and a tarp. Can walk in upright with just tip of the head and standing room galore. Love this thing.

Back