• Happy Premiere of Superman TV Series (1952)! 🔫🚂🏢

Video: Paddler and boat trapped in low head dam

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This video demonstrates the extreme danger of going over a low head dam (weir). The extremely powerful recirculation backwash at the bottom of the dam can roll and hold a paddler until he or she drowns and keep a boat for a long time.

Escape may be possible by paddling (if you are still in the boat) or swimming to the side of the dam in hopes there is an eddy shoulder there. Otherwise, you can try to dive down into the deeper water, which will be flowing downstream. Some have advised taking off your PFD to try such a dive, but I think that would be a very last ditch, desperation tactic.

The preventative measures are to learn to recognize a low head dam horizon line, go ashore well above it, and always paddle in dangerous current water with other boaters who are skilled in and equipped for swift water rescues.

HERE is some literature from the ACA.

This is so stupid it's hard to believe. The clown paddled over the dam on purpose.
Let me add that I do have a swift water rescue cert.

Last edited:
There is a famous video from Binghamton NY at the Rock Bottom Dam where over a two day period, three would-be rescue firefighters drowned trying to rescue a couple of rafters who went over the dam and got caught in the washing machine turbulence. Google it if you want to see it. The tragic video is often shown during swift water rescue training, such as the NYS course that I attended at the SPTC Swift Water and Flood training facility in Oriskany NY. In that first in the nation such facility they have a simulated low head dam channel with 100,000 g/min of water flowing over. We learned the very specialized techniques to affect a successful safe low head dam rescue. In a quiet water pool there, I had fun as the the only experienced canoer in the class with my team in canoe maneuvering and rescue training. I was also made the stern paddler in the guiding the raft course down the rapids sections between simulated rocks.

Through the same state training organization, I also certified in winter ice water rescue as well as swift water motor boat rescue (both of those were done in actual natural waters off site). Each certification course was lots of fun and essential training for first responders in swift water situations. I encourage everyone to take any of these courses if they can.

Fail 1: attempted to run a low head dam
Fail 2: not setting safety at the bottom of the dam
Fail 3: Dude completely missed his boof. If he even tried it was comically late.
Fail 4: Crew hoops and hollers before assessing swimmer. He doesn't look good.

We have tragedies here every year. A few years ago group of tubers went over a low head dam on the Dan River. Half of them drowned, the others clung to the tubes overnight until help arrived the next morning. Really sad.

There are alternatives. I hope we'll continue to see dang removals and replacements.

Back