• Happy Birthday, Grandma Moses (1860-1961)! 🎨🖌️🖼️

Troubles from China

Reaction score
I am an enthusiast from China and I really want to build my own canoe, but I don't have any reference data or drawings. There are few data graphs in our country. Can you send them to me via email? Thank you very much this time

I am an enthusiast from China and I really want to build my own canoe, but I don't have any reference data or drawings. There are few data graphs in our country. Can you send them to me via email? Thank you very much this time

What type of canoe do you have now and what types of water do you like to paddle on? What type of construction method are you planning to use?

There are a lot of websites that offer canoe plans such as bear mountain, northwest canoe, chesapeake light craft, ashes still water boats, and more. I would suggest starting off looking at some of those websites.

I don't think you'll find any members here willing to swap e-mail addresses with China until they get to know the person a little better but we would be happy to help out any other way we can.

Alan

Thank you very much, Allen. Although I have an adventurous heart, I don't have much time or place to go for drifting or rapids. I just need to build a canoe and find a calm surface to play on. I may have overlooked the possibility of members not willing to exchange addresses, but I am still very grateful to you, Allen. I will refer to more types of canoes

Thank you very much, Allen. Although I have an adventurous heart, I don't have much time or place to go for drifting or rapids. I just need to build a canoe and find a calm surface to play on. I may have overlooked the possibility of members not willing to exchange addresses, but I am still very grateful to you, Allen. I will refer to more types of canoes

What kind of workshop do you have to build the canoe? How much space and what kinds of tools? How much time and money do you want to spend building the canoe? Where will you store the canoe when not in use? How will you transport it to the water? Answers to those questions would help determine whether it would be best to build a strip canoe, skin on frame, or stitch and glue (plywood)) canoe.

Alan

I have a storage room with a length of about 4.5 meters and a height of 6 meters. I plan to hang the canoe with a rope and store it at a high place on the roof. The only tools available are basic saws, nail guns, etc. However, you know that online shopping for tools in China is convenient and fast. I don't worry about owning any tools. I have my own car for transportation, and buying cedar wood strips in China may be more expensive than using ordinary pine wood strips. I plan to use ordinary pine wood strips
What kind of workshop do you have to build the canoe? How much space and what kinds of tools? How much time and money do you want to spend building the canoe? Where will you store the canoe when not in use? How will you transport it to the water? Answers to those questions would help determine whether it would be best to build a strip canoe, skin on frame, or stitch and glue (plywood)) canoe.

Alan

Nothing wrong with using pine for strips. Plenty of people have done that. It will just add a little weight and make sanding a little more difficult.

If you search the canoe building forum on this site you'll find a lot of in-depth threads that show the strip building process step by step.

Northwest canoe has some nice designs that are only $5 and available for download after purchase.

Alan

Nothing wrong with using pine for strips. Plenty of people have done that. It will just add a little weight and make sanding a little more difficult.

If you search the canoe building forum on this site you'll find a lot of in-depth threads that show the strip building process step by step.

Northwest canoe has some nice designs that are only $5 and available for download after purchase.

Alan
Thank you very much. I have looked at the theme you provided, and I will refer to it and start building it next. Personally, I still prefer the design of the Northwest canoe, but GA looks good too

Back