• Happy Birthday, Evel Knievel (1938-2007))! ⛲ 🏍🪂

Shooting Wolves in Defense of Pets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
According to the law, shooting a wolf in defense of a pet is prohibited, subject to prosecution. A wolf must be threatening human life to be shot legally. So, if your dog is being torn to pieces in front of you, your firearm is a noise maker only.

Lol, in the words from another forum I frequent, "In before the lock".

Wolf tags cost ten bucks in Northern Ontario, I can buy two. So I can shoot a wolf for any reason, but I would hesitate to do so, as I really like the beasts. In most cases, a pre-emptive shot in their direction will be enough. If the concern of wolf attack is really high, maybe find a different place to walk the pooches.

Don't get me started about lynx defence.

Naw, they will likely be 100 miles away by January. I’m good with a noisemaker just in case, and if they don’t split, I’m free to attempt to extricate my dog. If I feel personally threatened in the process, then things change.

Bogan doesn’t have good feet for snow, and I don’t take him when it’s cold cold. Probably more of a summertime issue. I’d hate to kill a wolf for any reason. Alone, I’d just watch and marvel at them. Still, can’t hurt to be prepared, right?

Interesting that the DNR supervisor recommended taking a firearm even though protecting a pet with lethal force is not legal. I’m thinking the Vilas County event is causing prudence.

Wolves and firearms. Again off topic and again contentious. Please try and keep posts somewhat on the topic of canoe tripping.

I can certainly relate to what you experienced a couple weeks ago and I can understand why you're exploring these avenues and that you have questions and concerns. I don't, however, believe this forum best place to discuss it.

I had no problem with your initial post about the wolf/dog confrontation as many of us canoe trip with our dogs in wolf country and it's a good thing to be aware of. But these further discussions are drifting farther off topic.

The information you presented in this post (illegal to kill wolf in defense of pet) is good to know and could be valid for canoe tripping. But I'm locking this post to keep it from drifting any further off topic or becoming heated.

Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back