• Happy Debut of "I Love Lucy" (1951)! 📺👁💘⚽

Section trip of the Northern Canoe Trail

Reaction score
Hi,

Thinking about doing the Northern Canoe Trail in 2-3 sections (one section a year) starting in 2025. Curious if anyone is interested in planning one or all of these together. I have a lot of backcountry camping experience backpacking and canoe/kayak camping. I live near Rochester, NY but spend a lot of time in the daks. I've done the Long Lake to Tupper Lake via the Raquette River trip along with just paddling around various lakes and rivers.

Cheers.

You will enjoy the trip very much. I have completed the 3-day Adirondack 90 mile canoe race 28 times (Old Forge to Saranac Lake), not including a dozen cannonball-90s (=the entire route completed within a single 24 hour day). I have paddled a Hornbeck from my home just outside the western Adirondacks 185 miles to beyond Plattsburgh as the entire NY section+ of the NFCT with the trail developer's portage and camping advice before the NCFT route details were made public.

Follow the printed maps and advice given. You already know that on the big lakes you will encounter motor boats and annoying jet skis on nice summer days. The Raquette Falls carry that you already did is by far the most difficult and miserable carry you will encounter.

If you have any specific questions, I would be happy to respond.

Back