• Happy Debut of "I Love Lucy" (1951)! 📺👁💘⚽

Rare Solo Canoes for Sale At Hemlock Canoe

I noticed that but couldn't edit my post, thanks.

That Loon Works Button is probably a lot of fun to paddle.

Last edited:
They just lowered the price today on some of the 'The Bob' solo canoe collection they have on consignment at Hemlock Canoe, if anyone is interested.

They just lowered the price today on some of the 'The Bob' solo canoe collection they have on consignment at Hemlock Canoe, if anyone is interested.
Wow, they really cut the prices by a lot! I wonder if Hemlock got any interest at all at the "original MSRP adjusted for inflation" prices they were originally asking—these are neat canoes (the black Lotus Caper is just stunning), but it seems to me that only someone with very specific, niche desires might've chosen to buy one of them over a brand-new boat from Hemlock, Northstar, Slipstream, etc. And none of these seemed to get much attention at WPASCR...besides myself, I don't think I saw anyone take one out for a test paddle. It'll be interesting to see whether they're able to move them at the new, lower prices.

I agree, the time to slash the price was at Slippery Rock. I had a heck of a time selling my Blackhawk Zephyr last year in this very forum. Still, there are some folks who seem to have a passion for these vintage hulls.

I'd guess Bob's estate is anxious to convert the canoes into money and asked Dave Curtis to lower the prices. Or, on the other hand, I suppose Dave could have advised the estate that lowering the prices would be the only way to unload the canoes this year.

The Lotus Caper is a wonderful day solo for someone less than 175 lbs. It has virtually no rocker and hence will paddle straight, but it can be turned easily by heeling the canoe onto the swedeform stern width, which completely takes the stern stem out of the water for a quick spin on the chines.

I just wanted to clarify that the boats on the Hemlock site belonged to Bob Man, not Bob Gitchell (The Bob). Bob Man was a paddler, freestyle instructor, and collector from the Ann Arbor area. He did not use computers so did not participate in online forums. Both Bobs got pleasure from collecting boats including boats they didn't paddle.

At the current prices some of those boats are screaming bargains in my view. Some vintage boats are impressive just for their construction quality. A few like the Nomad and Zephyr continue to outperform new models partly because some of them were a bit edgy and made no attempt to satisfy everyone. The Zephyr is considered by some to be the most special Blackhawk. Any kevlar Blackhawk is rare and I have never seen one with cherry trim. It's a small, low volume, tippy boat that outperforms anything on the market (it's like a kneeling Rapidfire for speed and efficiency but it's got more rocker and even works great for freestyle). Some folks prefer the Nomad to the popular Peregrine so a new Nomad is rare and pretty darn cheap at $2400. The Nomad and all Blackhawks get their strength from fabric, not foam cores so the boats are very strong and more dent-proof and puncture resistant than new boats from companies like Northstar or Swift. The fasteners on Blackhawks and Curtis boats are tighter after 20 years than Northstars after six months.

TheBob's fleet was sold a long time ago and his Zephyr is back in service in Michigan. Neither widow needs the money (or a fleet of canoes) and neither was involved in pricing or selling the boats.

PXL_20240813_184009448.MP.jpgPXL_20240813_185203484.MP.jpg

My bad, wrong Bob. I assumed Dave dropped the prices to move out the stock and settle old business before handing off the keys.

Back