• Happy Debut of "I Love Lucy" (1951)! 📺👁💘⚽

Outdoor Canoe Storage

Reaction score
We are in the process of selling our home and relocating to our vacation home on the coast. I will lose my 5 bay shop. My canoes will need to live outdoors in a coastal environment.

I am thinking of a covered rack of some kind. I am currently the caretaker of 4 canoes.

Please share your ideas.

Thank you.

If they're royalex, the tarp should be breathable (undyed canvas is good). Or else make sure it doesn't lay on the canoe hull. Otherwise, condensation can lead to sticky mildew stains in the vinyl skin.

Mine live in the basement - in and out through the bulkhead. Kind of a pain with the bigger tandem canoes, but it is nice to have them out of the weather. Otherwise, an outdoor rack of some kind.

I'm not sure if you have the space / inclination to build but you might consider a carport for overhead storage. I built mine with the trusses on 36" centers so I can store one canoe per opening. Ideally, I'd have storage for 7 up there but backyard space limited me to 19 feet so only 6. Also nice to have cars, bikes & bass boat out of the weather a bit.

IMG_20240928_094443876.jpg

Crap. just noticed that I forgot to reattach the stupid fake shutter... guess I add that to the list & get off the couch.

Best of luck with the move.

Under canvas tarps or Bag Lady bags and on saw horses for me. After a good snow storm I usually get the worst of it off just for my own sense of well bing.

The coastal enviroment isn't something I have to deal with.

I have used pulley systems to store them near the cieling in the past. I may do that again for one or two of them.

I will hopefully be down to three canoes when we move. Maybe I will store one of the Royalex ones outside.

Back