• Happy Premiere of Superman TV Series (1952)! 🔫🚂🏢

Leaving firewood at camp

I've not often encountered firewood "voluntarily" left behind, more often (particularly in parks) the remnants of failed fires in the pit.
But the rare times it is it has been a small and welcome offering. A small measure of etiquette I consider a strength of character rather than a weakness of mind. There is a paucity of the former and a glut of the latter particularly in these modern times.
On one ocassion I came across several dry poles leaning under an evergreen set back from the camp clearing. I hate now to admit this but I chose one to harvest for our evening fire, having no idea what they'd been for. Only afterwards realizing they'd probably been stashed for a winter camp. Ready-made support poles for canvas tents would be a boon in the backcountry. IIRC on a vid from HOOP he explains/demonstrates how a pole would weather better leaned just so rather than all cut and stacked. Fuel is never hard to find where I go if you're willing to take a walk in the woods. I usually cook over twig fires so it doesn't take much.
actually in southern Ontario firewood can be a very scarce commodity, especially in the last couple of years with all the newbies that think a fire has to have 3' flames....
I've had times when collecting fallen, decent, dry wood has entailed a mile long trip upstream from any sites, as can be seen by the staggering amount of unburnable green trees cut down...

I have always left firewood behind, most likely due to Scouting.

Wabakimi was funny. Unsure who did it (Friends of Wabakimi I would guess) but at almost every campsite there was a supply of wood, neatly cut and stacked, and in most cases was rotting away from lack of use.
more often than not with me, trail clearing and brushing has led to a 1/2 face cord being left on almost every established site due to all the winter blowdowns and widowmakers- problem is that it's enough work to move that wood to the sites (we portaged a wheelbarrow- not fun), and too time consuming to split those rounds. Add that few people carry a maul or splitting axe, and the stuff just sits there...

while I appreciate firewood especially on a stormy day, I don't expect it or criticize those who don't do it. throwing it in the bush would drive me batty though because of the huge waste of resources and environmental impact.
About the only places I actively collect extra are those like Algonquin, KHWS, or the Moon river, simply because most sites there have been denuded of anything burnable (and lots that won't burn) for hundreds of feet in every direction in the hopes that if needed, subsequent trippers will use that rather than cut more growth if they arrive at the site cold, wet, and exhausted. if in a lighter impacted area, if I have left over wood when I leave, I will stack it for the next people.
As for scouts and other youth groups, I've always preferred having the kids patrol the area for garbage and discarded gear then have them pile up massive mountains of firewood that will be left to rot and deprive other sites of collectable wood...In fact one of my favourite methods of enticement is that whoever finds the most garbage earns a nice, shiny, new compass, SA knife, or headlamp...

Back