• Happy Collect Rocks Day! 🪨🥌💎

Hookaroon

My first thought is some kind of threaded connector on each end of the pole and then you could have an assortment of "tools" that could be attached to each end, including maybe a paddle that could be used in an emergency.

Pickaroon is what we called that tool. Ours had a much longer handle used for moving pulp logs around on a sled or pulp truck. In use in Northern Minnesota, when pulp cutting was still manual labor not totally mechanized as it is today.
I did spend some time in a US Forest Service camp. One of the other employees cut and trimmed a sapling, he left one sturdy limb close to the butt end as a stub that he later whittled into a sort of hook that he used to wrangle pots and especially pot lids. He called this tool a hookumsnuffy. He was a Vermont man, had words that a midwestern, lake states natives were not used to. I still make them, great for fishing camp coffee pots from the fire. I even have a small one handy next to the kitchen range for lifting lids and snuffing stews and other creative cooking dishes.

It bears mentioning that this is a nice implement for group trips when the pots and pans scaled up to a larger size. It would be overkill for solo travel because it's length makes it too ungainly to warrant bringing along. I end up stowing it in a roll table bag of equivalent length, which comes along when we're setting up a significant cook operation.

@Boreal Birch, I think you're right: the derivation of the name "hookaroon" must come from logging tools that are very prevalent in Maine.

Back