• Happy National Canoe Day! ┃ 𓄢 𓀌 🪵🛶

Folbot: Fix, Experiment or Set Free?

Reaction score
Oh, what to do.

A friend passed away a while back and when his estate was settled his son called me and said that his dad wanted me to have all his woodworking and outdoors equipment. In his woodshop among and under much clutter was a 14 ½’ x 36” tandem non-folding Folbot complete with about a dozen holes in the fabric along with decades of dust and grime. I brought it home and gave it a quick wash. The frame and seats seem to be in good shape and it seems fairly straight along the keel line, though since it is flat on the bottom and does not have a true keel, it is hard to tell.

My quandary is: Do I keep it and if so, do I just patch it up for a short-term trial, do I decide to restore it (Naugahyde?), do I attempt using it as a base for experimentation with a thin plywood hull and deck, possibly cover it with ballistic nylon, Dacron, canvas or maybe even fiberglass and epoxy. There are longitudinal wood strips amidships that look like they could hold a canoe seat; has anyone tried making a canoe out of a Folbot?

Another option is to put it on the side of the road as is with a “FREE” sign. Around this area there is not a lot of demand for Folbots. There are a couple that have been on Craigslist for around a year or more, but they do seem right proud of them judging by their asking price. If I do restore it, it would be a project for the enjoyment of working on it with the possibility of not liking it and not having much of a market to sell it.

Still another negative issue is that I am out of space. I have indoor storage for 6-7 boats and this new acquisition brings me up to an even dozen. My cup runneth over! I do plan on finding new owners for a few of them this summer, so the space issue should get better.

I always enjoy paddling boats that are new to me. I have never paddled a Folbot, but the beastie looks like it would make a stable fishing platform. I am tempted to give it a try just to add this to my list of “Boats I have Paddled”.

As you can tell, I am conflicted. I figure that this those in this forum may help me see my way through the pros and cons of my new problem.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• DSCN1025.JPG
    DSCN1025.JPG
    182.6 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCN1026.JPG
    DSCN1026.JPG
    188.1 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCN1021.JPG
    DSCN1021.JPG
    203.1 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCN1018.JPG
    DSCN1018.JPG
    189 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCN1022.JPG
    DSCN1022.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCN1019.JPG
    DSCN1019.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCN1027.JPG
    DSCN1027.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCN1020.JPG
    DSCN1020.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 18
I feel your pain. I have a vintage folding kayak, a Pionier 540G tandem which my Dad bought in the 1950's. We had many family adventures in it, especially in Maine and the Chesapeake Bay. Sadly its skin is old and dry but the frame is intact and a technical wonder of wood and brass fittings, all folding up into three bags. I have no desire to restore it as it doesn't fit in with my canoeing interest, but at the same time I couldn't stomach trashing the thing. For fun, look up the story of Oskar Speck who paddled his Pionier from Germany to Australia starting in the pre-WWII years.

Sorry, no help for your dilemma. Maybe a free Craigslist will find an enthusiast.

Thanks for info on Herr Speck. What an amazing trip that must have been!

I have decided to do a test paddle of the old Folbot. While at the hardware store I purchased a roll of 4" wide Gorilla Tape to do some temporary (but ugly) patches on the old fabric and plan to drop it in the lake soon. I hope the rest of the remaining fabric does not let the water in.

That looks pretty rough. I've had three Folbots, one a non folder that leaked. I did some repairs with AquaSeal, some with Gorilla Tape. But I didn't have gaping holes. Mine was a 17.5' Super, and ridiculously stable. I later stripped the skin thinking to cover it with something lighter, but never did. Good luck with yours, keep us posted.

Back