• Happy Birthday, Chuck Berry (1926-2017)! 🎸

Duluth MN Paddle Group

Reaction score
Hello!

My name is Christian, I currently base out of Duluth, Minnesota and have been paddling for 10 years. I am 22 and grew up in St. Paul. I guided for a few years in the BWCA, then outfitted for a bit at BW Outfitters on the Kawishiwi Tr. After that, I moved to Duluth and currently frequent Atikaki. By now I have completed 3 solo backcountry trips and am counting on youth to bring me more.

Besides guiding, every time I get in the canoe I go solo and it has been that way for a few years. It would be nice to paddle in a group with like-minded, experienced canoeist, hopefully locally. There are a lot of kayak and SUP groups in the area but no canoe groups unfortunately. There are no parameters, no requirements, no fees. Just paddling with others, sharing observations, and tea breaks.

My message is to call out to those in the Duluth area, or even up into the Iron Range. Please email me if you're interested! Like I've said I have guided, and paddled with complete strangers, so I can personally guarantee that it will not be awkward. The goal is to get to know canoeist in the local area and have some fun exploring the nearby waters.

Requirements: A snack for while we're out, and a solo canoe if you've got one!

Instagram: @christians.canoe.trip

Nearby:
Allouez Bay, Nemadji R, Red R, Thompson Reservoir, St. Louis R, Cloquet R, and many more!

Attachments

• tmp 2.jpeg
    tmp 2.jpeg
    86.1 KB · Views: 10
Christian, good luck in your call for local canoeists. I'm surprised if there is no formal canoe club in or near Duluth, but surely there are hundreds of canoeists in that prime canoe country.

Meanwhile, welcome to site membership! Feel free to ask any questions and to post messages, photos and videos, and to start threads, in our many forums. Please read Welcome to CanoeTripping and Site Rules! Many of the site's technical features are explained in Features: Help and How-To Running Thread. We look forward to your participation in our canoe community.

Welcome! Trip reports from your area would be very welcome. Good luck in finding some like-minded canoeists.

The Minnesota Canoe Association may be able to help you connect. mncanoe.org
there are members everywhere I think with a preponderance in the twin cities. I do know there are some canoe racers in Duluth, but do not remember their names.
hope this helps. If you come down to Minneapolis there are a lot of group paddles and there is a rookie racers group that goes out from the west side of Cedar Lake Mondays at 545. Sadly only for a couple of weeks more this year before it gets too dark.

Fellow Duluth soloist here, though I must admit I tend to be solo for most of my free time. Shoot me a message, let’s see if something works out (I’m not on here much, advanced apologies for late replies). Paddling and talking canoes is a happy place.

As a transplant to Duluth, I’m a little surprised by the lack of canoeists I see out, though I’ve bumped into a few interesting boats. I work for one of the local outdoor stores with paddlesports, and I’ve met some long time, interesting paddlers, but new users in the area seem to be slim. Mountain biking and running seem the hot local outdoor activities.

Back