• Happy Birthday, Grandma Moses (1860-1961)! 🎨🖌️🖼️

Defend your food barrel?

It may be incorrect but I've heard the only circumstance to "play dead" when it comes to black bears is when a mother is protecting her cub(s).

Alan
It makes sense, but I've never heard it discussed in all the training I've had. I think it's a rare enough occurrence that it can almost be discounted. Black bears rarely make contact in defensive situations--most injuries occur associated with predatory attacks (or the people doing something they shouldn't be doing).

Should I be surprised that no one is carrying a firearm on their wilderness trips?
That probably depends upon where one is going. @PaddlingPitt has done some extended tripping in polar bear country and (I believe) always had a rifle along. Others, I suspect, pack on trips but don't mention it. After all, after awhile, daily carry doesn't seem any more noteworthy than wearing pants.

Personally, I've left mine at home on the out-of-state trips because my concealed carry permit isn't valid in Minnesota or Canada (and, when a guest in their state/country, it seems that we should respect their laws) and because I don't feel that added protection justifies the extra weight of firearm & ammo. That might change if I ever venture into white bear territory. Then I would probably pack a firearm and, perhaps, as @alsg mentioned, I might even stop by Mem's to borrow a big, white cat.

Besides, bear bangers are legal in Canada and are much lighter than any firearm I've seen.

Back