• Happy Collect Rocks Day! 🪨🥌💎

Any upper extremity amputees here?

Greetings again.
I am missing my left hand at the wrist and and trying to figure out how best to paddle a canoe, either solo or from the rear.
My only experience was as the front paddler so my partner did the lions share of work.
Kind of putting the cart before the horse as I have to restore my canoe before I can paddle it. but forecasting ahead i realize if theres an attachment that i man need then i will need to start planning now, they aint cheap!
I knew a man here in New York State who was missing his arm below the elbow and paddled a solo canoe very skillfully, even paddling whitewater. I believe that he positioned the paddle handle in the armpit of the affected arm using his shoulder and torso movement to aid in paddling.

That paddle device looks interesting. It is pretty simple, and would work in stock canoes.

A different solution is to use pedals. A Hobie Mirage drive kayak might work stock, especially if paired with a hand paddle or short paddle.

This company makes a cable driven pedal drive for a canoe. The media gallery shows several nice canoes setup with the pedal drive.
H2proped

If you want to use your arms you might consider adapting a pedal drive. Special cranks exist for foot amputees to accommodate the different geometry. Perhaps they could be adapted for your needs.
Swing crank

Please let us know what you do. We'd like to hear about the canoe restoration too.

I can see the double blade as an easily adapted device for you. Set the blades with no offset and no hand twisting needed. Most double blade paddling works well with lily dipping strokes. Shallow and not much effort. Torso twisting is where the power comes from so arms stay locked. I am envisioning a device strapped above the elbow and down the forearm. An attachment to the paddle shaft that could be popped off with a twist of the wrist for safety. Double blades are all I have paddled with for years in my canoe.

Thanks for the info.
TRS has provided all my adaptive devices. And so far i haven't encounteres and roadblocks, just a few detours.
Here is the device i use for hiking that is actually intended for archery; i think it might also work with paddlingIMG_5224.jpeg
I can see the double blade as an easily adapted device for you. Set the blades with no offset and no hand twisting needed. Most double blade paddling works well with lily dipping strokes. Shallow and not much effort. Torso twisting is where the power comes from so arms stay locked. I am envisioning a device strapped above the elbow and down the forearm. An attachment to the paddle shaft that could be popped off with a twist of the wrist for safety. Double blades are all I have paddled with for years in my canoe.
TSR Kayaking adaptor

Last edited by a moderator:
TSR Kayaking adaptor

(y) (y) (y)

From the looks of this adapter, will it be exactly what you need.
Ha! and since you've already had experience with an adapter on the walking poles and know how to use it,
this adapter would definitely work with a canoe paddle.
Great!

Last edited:
(y) (y) (y)

From the looks of this adapter, will it be exactly what you need.
Ha! and since you've already had experience with an adapter on the walking poles and know how to use it,
this adapter would definitely work with a canoe paddle.
Great!

I’m hoping the paddling physics in regard to the adaptor will be similar to hiking. I feel like they will be.

Back