• Happy Birthday, Grandma Moses (1860-1961)! 🎨🖌️🖼️

ADK Couple day trip suggestions?

Reaction score
Hey all.

I have the itch (yet again) to just get out for a couple days with m canoe. I'm retired now so a mid week trip is what I'm thinking in the hopes of finding minimal crowds.

I recognize it's summer and the ADK's are much busier. I want to avoid "crowds" and don't want to have to stress about finding a camp site. I typically do my trips in the fall or spring while its quiet but I'm just feeling like I gotta get out there.

All that said I am looking for a relaxed trip. I don't mind portages but I'm not looking for them to be arduous. I am also not really looking for any swift water. Again just a relaxed couple days.

So yeah, anyone have any suggestions for that "unicorn" trip?

OH and I will be at the ADK museum Sunday taking Caleb Davis's paddle making class and could start the trip after the class so if there are any ideas for that area it would be convenient. BUT it's not necessary.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Lows Lake, Lake Lila or Little Tupper Lake are all great overnight destinations. So is Cedar River Flow or Oswegatchie River. Some require more than an overnight to get the whole experience imo, but they all have ample campsites close enough to the put in where you can call it a relaxing pace.

#12 at Little Tupper Lake is very nice,

The campsite in the southeast corner of Lake Lila is another one I have really, liked it's just south of the Shingle Shanty Brook entrance. Very beautiful site with the beach to walk right there.

Cedar River Flow has some nice sites,

and a nice river to explore upstream, circa 1983 iirc, those boys are almost 40 now,

Adirondack Paddlers Map gives you all sorts of options. Pick one up at the Museum. There are still two left as of Tuesday. Paddling from Stoney Creek Ponds up to the Racquette River falls is quite nice.

We did the beginning of that with the FreeStyle symposium. Paddling upriver was not hard. But it would require an overnight to get to the Falls and back and we only did one day.

Another overnighter could be the Osgood. We have been thrashing that on day trips and found a few old campsites but it may not be navigable all the way between Osgood Pond and Meachem lake.. Plus right now its as buggy as heck.

Seven Carries route from Paul Smiths.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Carries

Its on the Paddlers Map

Caleb is gonna be whooped. He has taught several classes here at the Assembly including on water and paddle making! So if he's a little tired.. he deserves a rest. He just keeps going!

Robin- Lake Lila looks pretty good.... 2 questons:
1- Where is the put in for LIla?
2- Is there an ability to get into the surrounding waters I see on the map from Lila? such as Slim Pond etc?

yellowcanoe-
I took and made a paddle with Caleb last friday and will be there again Sunday to make a double ended paddle since I solo quite a bit.
Yes it seems he's a busy fella. I doubt its bothering him though.
I will look for the map you suggested when I get there. If sold out is there an alternative supplier in the area?

Slim Pond is very private, so there is no public access there. There are plenty of paddling choices nearby, the hardest part is deciding where. Another reference is Phil Brown's book on Adirondack Paddling - http://www.adk.org/product.php?pid=1934&pname=Adirondack Paddling
It is a different style from Dave Cilley's map guide.

I have known Caleb and worked with him for more than 20 years. He has the public charisma and contagious energy to handle any number of classes. When you see him, please tell him that "Paddle Paul" sends his regards.

Robin- Lake Lila looks pretty good.... 2 questons:
1- Where is the put in for LIla?
2- Is there an ability to get into the surrounding waters I see on the map from Lila? such as Slim Pond etc?

yellowcanoe-
I took and made a paddle with Caleb last friday and will be there again Sunday to make a double ended paddle since I solo quite a bit.
Yes it seems he's a busy fella. I doubt its bothering him though.
I will look for the map you suggested when I get there. If sold out is there an alternative supplier in the area?

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/lands_forests_pdf/mapwilliamcw.pdf

Blue Mt Outfitters right in the heart of the village is another source. I doubt that the Museum will sell out though. Yes in the East there is more than one BMO
http://www.laprairiecottages.com/bmo.html

A nice peaceful lake in the area is Forked Lake, west of Long Lake. Not a big lake, but some really nice backcountry campsites. For something bigger, Raquette Lake also has some really nice sites, but you'll have to watch out for wind and motorboats.

-rs

My current favorite would have to be Round Lake, which is accessed right off the Sabattis Road that you would take to the Whitney (Little Tupper Lake) parking lot. There are some really good sites out towards the outflow area, plus there is a woods road behind some of those sites that you can use to stretch your legs some. (note: the farther site, closest to the outflow area is not terribly good). Raquette River Outfitters in Long Lake has maps too. Any of those lakes mentioned are a shortish drive from the Museum. If it's late, you could try either end of the Lake Durant road for quick overnight camping. Or Horseshoe Lake on the road into the Low's Lake parking area (NY Rte 428?)

Back