• Happy Publication of "Star Spangled Banner" (1814)! 🚀💣🇺🇸

Canoe in the Snow

Reaction score
I remember years ago an outdoor hunting magazine ,on the front cover was a guy paddling in the snow, all covered in snow, with a big buck in the bow of his canoe.

I was always enchanted by that picture.

Well,I made it out yesterday, after a snow, and no buck. But here is what I took.
IMG_0544_zpsixjagnxl.jpg

Anyone else have a canoe in the snow pic ?

Jim

Looks great out there. Good for you for making the effort. It was a beautiful snow we had and the thought of paddling down the river crossed my mind for about 10 seconds this weekend but it was too dang cold. Rare that we have good water flow this time of year!

Alan

Jim,

That looks great!! I've always wanted to go paddling with a good snow cover...

Never was lucky enough to have that full snow cover, but I did have some icy fun a few times.
Almost 3 years ago to the day, a buddy and I decided to spend the unusually warm day after Thanksgiving doing a day trip to Wolf Pond (Adirondacks).
It's a little visited gem with no formal carries around the two sets of rapids and one rock dam. We saw a light dusting of snow on sun sheltered spots and in the woods that we bushwhacked through.
We put in on the icy river bank and paddled upstream through nearly impassable skim ice. When we made the final carry to Wolf Pond, we realized the folly of our attempt...the pond was fully solid, save for the outlet. But the memories of hearing the skim ice crack and tinkle from our wake is forever, I can still here it today...

Put in

DSC_7007.JPG

solid Wolf Pond

DSC_7058.JPG

Tinkle, crinkle skim ice on return paddle

DSC_7061.JPG

Been in the snow quite a few times, nature of the beast up here. Pics below are from the last week in may a few years ago. -14 C that night.

From a few years ago in December.

Attachments

• 1506746_10207682118708756_3969476695651288918_n.jpg
    1506746_10207682118708756_3969476695651288918_n.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 1
From the Roseau River a few years ago. We haven't been stupid enough to try this since-

PB200394.jpg

IMG_3048.jpg

It was around -14 Celsius. It took Selena 5 weeks to get the feeling back in her feet. When we pulled the canoes out the water on them froze instantly into a layer of verglas that shattered when we hit the canoes with a paddle.

Heck, if you had been travelling w some garland, tinsel, a few ornaments - would make a heck of a gussied up au naturale Holiday greeting card!

Shame to have to put those big registration letters on that stunning hull...

75% of my paddling takes place in snow and freezing weather. A lot of that is white water kayaking though. My camps look much like Memaquay's pictures. There's a great amount of peace, quiet, and solitude in winter paddling.

Heading out for a couple days of backpacking today as there's not a lot of water right now......Happy Thanksgiving.

Barry

The same tent we use I think, ours is the Nalo 4 GT. The best tent I ever owned!!

Shame to have to put those big registration letters on that stunning hull...

I hear you ! It's pure Bureaucracy. None of our surrounding stares require numbers on their paddle powered craft.

I'm told that beings Iowa does, we get a kick back from the Coast Guard. I don't believe it. But life goes on !

I should have turned the canoe around ! Ha !

Love the pics guys !

Jim

No Title

From a few years back. A day jaunt on the Blackwater River, NH. Had other pictures but lost them when the house burned down in 2013. This one of my favorites.

Attachments

• photo3402.jpg
    photo3402.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 0
From a few years back. A day jaunt on the Blackwater River, NH. Had other pictures but lost them when the house burned down in 2013. This one of my favorites.

Sorry about the house !
The canoe shot is Cool ! The falling snow trumps !

Jim

Last edited:
No Title

Here is a shot from a few years ago on the seldom traveled Indian river, a little SW of the blue line here in NYS

Attachments

• photo3413.jpg
    photo3413.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 0
No Title

A few canoe-and-snow pics from the archives.

Attachments

• photo3414.jpg
    photo3414.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo3415.jpg
    photo3415.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo3416.jpg
    photo3416.jpg
    484.9 KB · Views: 0
Back