• Happy Birthday, Marilyn Monroe (1926-62)! 🎥⭐👩🏼👄👠👗

Video: Low Brace Practice Tips

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In an outrigger canoe, which is the fastest open canoe as well as the most exciting to surf waves with. It's unfortunate that this wonderful type of canoe hasn't caught on more outside of the U.S. west coast as day paddling and exercise craft. Plus no correction strokes or side switching required.

The low brace practice tips shown in this video should apply to any canoe with any paddle, except that you may not be able to use your thigh as a fulcrum in a CanAm canoe. ("Huli" means tip over, dump, turn turtle, capsize, swim.)

Bracing becomes really important in a sea kayak in the ocean or on big lakes with swells.
It translates easily to canoeing and helps a lot in developing confidence in rough water.

She demonstrated some good techniques that I think most of us will self-learn sooner or later with time, with or without an ama. Whether canoeing in wide open water with big waves and wind or in fast moving river current, it is most helpful to keep your speed up for stability and to keep your paddle working in the water as much as possible in order to remain upright. Lake Laberge stormy weather and the "30 Mile River" just after, and "Five Finger Rapids" segments of the Yukon River taught us that.

with or without an ama

Yes, the ama is irrelevant to the brace. With an ama, you don't need to brace on the ama side. With no ama, you can't brace on the non-paddle side with a single stick.

Oh, there are skilled single stick whitewater paddlers who can do a sort of cross-over brace, but it's not really effective with enough leverage until the canoe is about 90° on edge and half filled with water. Not worth attempting for mere mortals.

It's unfortunate that this wonderful type of canoe hasn't caught on more outside of the U.S. west coast as day paddling and exercise craft.

I've thought about them a little bit lately. I've been wondering if there is a something similar to an OC but with no ama and a little wider for stability. Basically a wide surfski with a higher seat position to make it easier to single blade.

Alan

Nope. No interest in building the skills to paddle an OC without the O.

Maybe some seat pads in a V5 or V6 would give enough elevation while maintaining stability.

Or maybe I just need design and build my own.

Alan

With no ama, you can't brace on the non-paddle side with a single stick.
True, but you can do a high brace to keep from tipping to your non paddle side. It's not as effective as a low brace but it's something.

I've always held my paddle at a low angle with the blade close to the water on recovery strokes, which keeps me in a great position to quickly do a low brace. This past week I started experimenting with skidding the blade forward on the recovery. I did it to see if it took weight off the paddle, which it did It was also obvious that with your paddle already in contact with the water the low brace was even more foolproof, almost bombproof. It is also keeps you oriented if you are distracted by looking at a map for example or anytime your vision is focused elsewhere.

Do a good Canadian stroke with underwater recovery correction and you are there. Angle the blade up or down while it is kept underwater during the majority of the recovery to apply up or down pressure for direction control and stability.

Last edited:
I missed the explanation of the “leading edge of the paddle” providing “lift” to the paddler and craft.

If and when a OC-1 paddler wants to have a successful roll or brace, she or he will need that lift provided from the leading edge of the of the paddle to plane above the water and make the correction.

I missed the explanation of the “leading edge of the paddle” providing “lift” to the paddler and craft.

If and when a OC-1 paddler wants to have a successful roll or brace, she or he will need that lift provided from the leading edge of the of the paddle to plane above the water and make the correction.

She did explain and demonstrate the opposite: If you dip the leading edge when paddling faster than the water flow, the paddle will dive, thereby risking going huli. Same thing with a roll: If you dive the leading edge while sweeping, the roll will fail.

Back