• Happy Birthday, Marilyn Monroe (1926-62)! 🎥⭐👩🏼👄👠👗

Pat Moore new old stock canoes

Reaction score
Hello, Back in November I took a 12 hour drive from PA to SC. I picked up 4 canoe hulls. They were the last boats made by Pat Moore. I pulled them from the molds where they have been since 2001 ish. I brought them home and completed the wood work. I’m having a bit of trouble identifying them all. The green one seems to be a Dandy. 13’ 7” L 29” W at the gunwales. Next the solo grey one seems it might be a Covenant 14’ 8” L 26” W at the gunwales. The blue one I set up as a Combi coming in at 16’ L 30” W at the gunwales. Lastly a tandem coming in at 15’ 10” L 36” W at the gunwales. Magnum Cruiser maybe? I will have them all at the Western Pennsylvania Solo Canoe Rendezvous for your paddling pleasure and probably for sale. I love canoe history and hope to carry that history to the next generations. Thanks Dustin
fb4d09f3-aa5f-490d-b00c-a641a8591def-jpeg.140217
DFAB0926-9F61-47E3-8423-1EB7D125C6A7.jpeg50DC5239-63F2-4746-9087-B8D6D0E3CA86.jpeg95120462-48B3-48FD-831C-B2A9CE67880F.jpeg

Attachments

• FB4D09F3-AA5F-490D-B00C-A641A8591DEF.jpeg
    FB4D09F3-AA5F-490D-B00C-A641A8591DEF.jpeg
    223.5 KB · Views: 380
I wish that I could be at the WPSCR again this year to see these canoes, especially the Dandy, but other duties call. This is a wonderful find that you have made and have worked on to restore these hulls to completion .

Congratulations!

Curious what became of the molds ?
Nice looking hulls , and trim.

Jim

I am in possession of 9 Pat Moore molds.

Wow! What a historical cache. Those boats you finished are simply gorgeous, Dustin. They may be enough to drag my ancient bones and van out to WPSCR.

Do you have any idea what has happened to Pat Moore? I was emailing with him in 2012, helping to edit a history of sport canoeing he was writing, but lost touch.

Wow! What a historical cache. Those boats you finished are simply gorgeous, Dustin. They may be enough to drag my ancient bones and van out to WPSCR.

Do you have any idea what has happened to Pat Moore? I was emailing with him in 2012, helping to edit a history of sport canoeing he was writing, but lost touch.
Hello, I do not know what has happened to Pat. It seems that everyone lost touch with him around the 2012 mark. I have been told that he passed away then but can not confirm more that word of mouth. Hope to see you at the WPASCR. I will have a nice selection of Grey owl paddles for sale, Slipstream canoes, Redfeather canoes, these Pat Moore boats as well as hopefully some new Kevlar Pat Moore Boats. Thanks Dustin

Dustin, just curious, are you now a dealer or builder or both?
I LOVE canoes is the best definition of what I am. LOL. I started out wanting to be a builder. It is a very long story of the journey that took me on. One thing lead to another and I purchased the Pat Moore Molds. the next course of events took me to becoming a dealer for Grey Owl, Slipstream, and Redfeather. I truly just want people to experience the joy I find in good quality canoes. As we look around at the age of the builders and enthusiast in the canoe industry we are going to loose a lot if someone doesn't pick up after them. I hope to be a small part of carrying their legacy to the next generation. If you make it to the WPASCR we can talk in more detail. Thanks

Wow, NoelCanoeDad - amazing to see that you've acquired Patrick's molds and are currently producing his designs. I've been resigned to seeing Patrick's considerable contributions to canoe paddling and design be all but passed over and forgotten. Patrick is the originator of Solo Sport paddling and as such is more responsible for the existence of it's offshoot, Freestyle, than any other individual or individuals. That statement won't sit well with some people, but I do believe it to be fact.

I acquired my first Proem 85 from Canoe Specialty, the joint venture Dave Curtis had with Phil Siglekow back in 1983. After repeatedly pouring over the April issue of Canoe Magazine which featured articles about Patrick, Solo Sport paddling and his newly released Proem 85, I traded my Sawyer Summersong in at Dave's place for the Proem. I met Pat at a canoe symposium near Rochester, NY shortly after, and over the course of many years became friends and a repeat customer. I lost contact with him in 2016, but hope he is alive and well, and have no reason to believe he isn't.

I ordered one of the first Reverie 2s from him when he followed with the series. It was a custom order Kevlar layup with walnut trim and a color I selected - Pongee - which he later offered as one of his regular colors. I lost that Reverie along with another Reverie and a Proem during a heavy Tug Hill winter when snow accumulation unexpectedly collapsed the roof of a barn they were stored in.

I currently have my original Proem, also a Proem prototype, and three Reverie 2s as well as two custom wood paddles Patrick made for me and one of his composite Cues.

Years ago - around 2014 or so, Patrick told me he was still in possession of his original Proem and Reverie molds. Would you happen to have them now, and if so are you considering producing any canoes from them?

Again - great to hear you have these molds saved.

I met Pat at a canoe symposium near Rochester, NY shortly after, and over the course of many years became friends and a repeat customer. I lost contact with him in 2016, but hope he is alive and well, and have no reason to believe he isn't.

Mike, it's nice to see you post here.

I was contacted last week by Courtney Codrington, who was Mike Galt's partner in Lotus Canoes. He apparently has read this thread and was interested in the history of sport canoeing that Patrick Moore was writing in 2012. That caused me to go back and review the emails that went around among Patrick, you, Greg Spencer in England, and me. Patrick had asked Greg and me to proofread and help edit his history/interviews, which you were going to publish.

That all gave me the thought to email you to find out what happened. I'll do that next week.

Hi Glenn. Great to be in contact with you. I look forward to your email.

All the best,
Mike

Wow, NoelCanoeDad - amazing to see that you've acquired Patrick's molds and are currently producing his designs. I've been resigned to seeing Patrick's considerable contributions to canoe paddling and design be all but passed over and forgotten. Patrick is the originator of Solo Sport paddling and as such is more responsible for the existence of it's offshoot, Freestyle, than any other individual or individuals. That statement won't sit well with some people, but I do believe it to be fact.

I acquired my first Proem 85 from Canoe Specialty, the joint venture Dave Curtis had with Phil Siglekow back in 1983. After repeatedly pouring over the April issue of Canoe Magazine which featured articles about Patrick, Solo Sport paddling and his newly released Proem 85, I traded my Sawyer Summersong in at Dave's place for the Proem. I met Pat at a canoe symposium near Rochester, NY shortly after, and over the course of many years became friends and a repeat customer. I lost contact with him in 2016, but hope he is alive and well, and have no reason to believe he isn't.

I ordered one of the first Reverie 2s from him when he followed with the series. It was a custom order Kevlar layup with walnut trim and a color I selected - Pongee - which he later offered as one of his regular colors. I lost that Reverie along with another Reverie and a Proem during a heavy Tug Hill winter when snow accumulation unexpectedly collapsed the roof of a barn they were stored in.

I currently have my original Proem, also a Proem prototype, and three Reverie 2s as well as two custom wood paddles Patrick made for me and one of his composite Cues.

Years ago - around 2014 or so, Patrick told me he was still in possession of his original Proem and Reverie molds. Would you happen to have them now, and if so are you considering producing any canoes from them?

Again - great to hear you have these molds saved.
Hello, Sorry for the delayed response, I have been crazy busy getting ready for the WPASCR. I have 9 molds. I have identified only 4 with confidence. The Peter Pond II 17', Convenient 14' 8",Magnum Cruiser 15' 10", and Dandy 13' 7". I am pretty sure I have all the Reverie's and the Andante. It is hard to find info on them. I have seen a lot of talk about the Andante and really wanted to have one for the WPASCR but am not positive which one it is. I also ran out of time with all the irons I have in the fire right now. I have made one Convenient which I shouldn't show anyone due to the blems lol. It's going to take some time to get to the quality they need to be to hit the market. I will have the 4 last boats Pat made at the rendezvous as well as the rough Convenient. I led a trip on red bank creek last Saturday for Trumbull Canoe Trails. We had 11 canoes and 8 kayaks on that trip. Watching the canoes was just amazing. They all had form and such gracefulness. Not to knock kayaker's to much but canoeing is an art form that is just beautiful. That being said any and all canoe history needs to be preserved. I hope I can play a small part in keeping that history alive and sharing it with whoever will listen. Thanks Dustin

Hello, Sorry for the delayed response, I have been crazy busy getting ready for the WPASCR. I have 9 molds. I have identified only 4 with confidence. The Peter Pond II 17', Convenient 14' 8",Magnum Cruiser 15' 10", and Dandy 13' 7". I am pretty sure I have all the Reverie's and the Andante. It is hard to find info on them. I have seen a lot of talk about the Andante and really wanted to have one for the WPASCR but am not positive which one it is. I also ran out of time with all the irons I have in the fire right now. I have made one Convenient which I shouldn't show anyone due to the blems lol. It's going to take some time to get to the quality they need to be to hit the market. I will have the 4 last boats Pat made at the rendezvous as well as the rough Convenient. I led a trip on red bank creek last Saturday for Trumbull Canoe Trails. We had 11 canoes and 8 kayaks on that trip. Watching the canoes was just amazing. They all had form and such gracefulness. Not to knock kayaker's to much but canoeing is an art form that is just beautiful. That being said any and all canoe history needs to be preserved. I hope I can play a small part in keeping that history alive and sharing it with whoever will listen. Thanks Dustin
D9280A92-F5D6-4F7C-B8C8-A19E5550DD1D.jpeg

Attachments

• 397B6E36-9F02-4FDE-A624-83BD92248AA6.jpeg
    397B6E36-9F02-4FDE-A624-83BD92248AA6.jpeg
    126.4 KB · Views: 11
  • D58BDAFF-D487-43FD-8253-1C761620B066.jpeg
    D58BDAFF-D487-43FD-8253-1C761620B066.jpeg
    136.4 KB · Views: 11
Please take special care of the Reverie 2 mold if you have it - not to lessen the remaining sizes, but the Reverie 2 is the most direct "descendant" of the Proem 85 relative to size. Hopefully you are able to store them inside away from foul weather and UV rays.
I'm attaching a PDF of Reverie information I think will be useful to you. It is from Patrick's web site, which was taken down several years ago.

-Mike

Attachments

• reveriepage.pdf
    913.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Looks like the site reduced my original jpg to a lesser quality. If you can't read it let me know your email address and I can directly email the full size file that is much easier to read.

Mike, if you use a JPG to PDF converter tool—Adobe may have a free online one—you can attach the PDF to a post here.

Back