• Happy (Ancient) May Day! 🎀💈💃🏼🧺💐🍴

Oak Stripper

The lines look nice...
I'm trying to figure if the red is due to stain, or if they used a very amber resin for the glass.

That's got to be a beefy boy. Full 1/4" strips, too. I did Some weight calculations a few years ago. If they're about accurate, I'd guess that canoe comes in around 75-80 pounds (The gunwales and seats are going to weigh about the same as if they were done in ash, so it's only the strip hull that is heavier due to the material.)

I've been involved with wooden boats for decades, people will often confuse materials or forget details. I doubt it's all oak.

I once used oak as sheer strips in hopes of avoiding gunwales on a lightweight/light duty build.

I compared the weight of the oak strips to the cedar strips and while I can't remember off the top of my head I do remember that it was a bigger difference than I thought it would be.

I also remember that staples barely dented the oak. I screwed those strips in place.

I think you'd have to be a real masochist to build a stripper from oak, let alone carry it around. But I guess you could always use cedar gunwales and trim to help cut some weight.

Alan

Back