• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

Advice for a GoPro video newbie

Reaction score
Although I have been a still photographer for many decades, I have never made the leap into videography. I have thought about it from time to time in conjunction with my outdoor activities, but weighing the cost, learning curve and potential use of the cameras I never went beyond reading a bit on the cameras and their use.

For the last couple of weeks, I have been shut down with a pulled lower back. Another similar episode for years back taught me to take it easy for a while, and fortunately I am currently in a position to do that. I have spent more time watching paddling YouTube videos in those weeks than I have in the last few months, and the idea came to look at the cameras again. As luck would have it, a big box store was having a very good sale on the GoPro Hero 10 Black. After reading the pros, cons and comparisons between the Hero 10,11 and 12 I decided that I would give it a try, especially with the camera's uses for still photography that I had not previously realized.

I now have the camera, downloaded the manual, watched several instructional videos, and played with the camera, I decided to ask the question:

Can some of the GoPro users in this group give a bit of advice about techniques, mountings and settings that would best apply to uses in canoes, particularly in whitewater?

Advice on any other part of getting started will be very much appreciated once I can get back on the water.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Back