• Happy Birthday, Marilyn Monroe (1926-62)! 🎥⭐👩🏼👄👠👗

How to drill canoe lining holes through foam-filled air tanks?

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We've just had a thread by @Black_Fly showing, with a list of tools and components, how he drilled lining holes through stems with empty air tanks. But suppose the tanks were filled with foam, as some are. How would you tool and DIY folks best and neatly do that task?

Not that I'll ever fill my tanks with foam but, if I were to drill one that someone else had filled, I'd do it like Black_Fly did except I'd use a 12" extension on the hole saw. I'd probably try to get a cleaner cut by stopping when the pilot bit came through the far side of the hull & then finishing the hole from the outside in.

I would use a short length of PVC pipe instead of the vinyl tubing shown in Black_Fly's thread. That allows the ends of the PVC pipe to be cut off at a taper flush with the surface of the canoe hull so that nothing stands proud. The ends of the PVC tubing are then epoxied to the hull and the cut ends can be painted if desired.

But that is off the point of the question since the technique for running the tubing through the foam would be the same. I would drill the holes in the hull in the location desired. Then fashion something to which a length of paracord or braided steel wire can be attached that will easily penetrate the foam. A length of straightened wire from an old-fashioned coat hanger with a loop fashioned in one end would suffice. Push that through the foam in one hole and out the other and draw the cord or wire through. Then run the PVC pipe through the foam over the wire/cord. A sharp taper can easily be fashioned on one end of the PVC pipe (that will be cut off) to help the PVC pipe penetrate the foam.

I would use a short length of PVC pipe instead of the vinyl tubing shown in Black_Fly's thread. That allows the ends of the PVC pipe to be cut off at a taper flush with the surface of the canoe hull so that nothing stands proud. The ends of the PVC tubing are then epoxied to the hull and the cut ends can be painted if desired.

20150614_005 by Alan, on Flickr

20150615_006 by Alan, on Flickr

20150615_007 by Alan, on Flickr

20150811_003 by Alan, on Flickr

Alan

Can anybody refer me to discussion of pros and cons of “lining” holes? I intend to install holes for painter tie off to my B-17. Clearly, putting the hole low on the stems is superior for lining. However, you then have a big loop of rope outside the hull, and it seems like that would get hung up in branches with which the boat may come into contact. How often does the rope yoke get snagged?

Not trying to redirect this thread. It must have been discussed before, but I’m not finding.

Clearly, putting the hole low on the stems is superior for lining. However, you then have a big loop of rope outside the hull, and it seems like that would get hung up in branches with which the boat may come into contact. How often does the rope yoke get snagged?

Not trying to redirect this thread. It must have been discussed before, but I’m not finding.

I only do this on my tripping canoes as there is no need for me to line anything locally. When I'm day paddling them at home I often don't have a painter attached.

I bungee the painter line to the carry handle and keep it pulled taught so the loop through the lining hole doesn't dangle. It can still get caught by sticks (especially when portaging) but I haven't had it happen too often.

I see a lot of people leave slack and the line drags in the water. Apparently they must not get hung up very much but that would drive me nuts, especially the sound of it dragging in calm water.

Alan

However, you then have a big loop of rope outside the hull, and it seems like that would get hung up in branches with which the boat may come into contact. How often does the rope yoke get snagged?

I wouldn't want to have a loop of rope dangling from a lining hole. That would be as bad as a kludge of leaves stuck on the cutwater. Lining isn't a frequent occurrence, at least in my canoeing life. I'd reposition the painters through the lining holes only when I actually need to line. How long does that take? A lot less time than fashioning a bridle. Five minutes max.

Back