• Happy Birthday, Liberace (1919-87)! 🤵🏻🎹🕎

Add Dental Floss to your repair kit

Reaction score
This is from the Headwaters Canoe Facebook page, use duct tape on the trail, then dental floss at home!

Every repair that comes into the shop has a story. This canoe, a modified 16’ Prospector, built by Headwaters in conjunction with our friend, the canoe’s owner, has raised gunwales, meaning it’s about an inch deeper in the centre than the standard 16’ Prospector. It’s a serious load carrier, a real adventure vessel that has covered hundreds of kilometres in its life so far.

When we peeled off the canvas and saw this line of tidy stitches more than two feet long on the inside, we knew we had to ask Bob for the story. Turns out an unfortunate encounter with a spike on the Tim River in Agonquin Park was the culprit, more than 20 years ago. In the moment, Bob resorted to good old duct tape as the trip was nearly over. Upon his return home he stitched the canvas together with dental floss and patched over it, a patch that we couldn’t even detect on the outside of the canvas! Twenty years later, the repair job was holding as well as the day it was sewn. We hope the next canvas meets fewer spikes, but just in case, keep the dental floss handy in your repair kit and we know you’ll have many more trips with this big canoe.

IMG_4650.jpegIMG_4651.jpegIMG_4652.jpegIMG_4653.jpeg

Last edited:
I agree, very handy. I had a tent pole start to split at the joint when setting up the tent so I whipped the end of the pole with dental floss and it is still in service to this day, I never did replace the pole. If I was going on a long trip I might consider whipping all the joints just for insurance.
Jim

Haha
Dental floss, so many uses…
I recently did some engine work on my 1977 Jeep CJ5.
I used some dental floss to hold the valve cover gasket (cork) in place on the valve cover while I reinstalled that cover. Those gaskets are infamous for leaking, mostly due to inattentive assembly.
Dental floss also makes an excellent tool for removing stickers and stubborn trim pieces, where you don’t dare damage the finish. A little floss, the right solvent, and you can seesaw in the betweens…

Haha
Dental floss, so many uses…
I recently did some engine work on my 1977 Jeep CJ5.
I used some dental floss to hold the valve cover gasket (cork) in place on the valve cover while I reinstalled that cover. Those gaskets are infamous for leaking, mostly due to inattentive assembly.
Dental floss also makes an excellent tool for removing stickers and stubborn trim pieces, where you don’t dare damage the finish. A little floss, the right solvent, and you can seesaw in the betweens…
Another good use for dental floss is eyeglass repair. If you lose a hinge screw or an eyewire screw, thread dental floss through a few times and tie it off

I agree, very handy. I had a tent pole start to split at the joint when setting up the tent so I whipped the end of the pole with dental floss and it is still in service to this day, I never did replace the pole. If I was going on a long trip I might consider whipping all the joints just for insurance.
Jim
550 paracord is also handy for whipping cracked items. Of course you can use the cord but individual strands or just the sheath with the strands removed works good for items that require the whipping to have a tighter bend radius. I repaired a cracked wooden slat on a camp chair using the sheath from paracord

Another good use for dental floss is eyeglass repair. If you lose a hinge screw or an eyewire screw, thread dental floss through a few times and tie it off
rather than dental floss, I prefer the 24ga tie wire that lives in my repair kit- I lost the screw on my glasses arm years ago and replaced it with 2 short pieces of tie wire twisted tight- those glasses are what I use for grinding now, still with the tie wire hinge...

550 paracord is also handy for whipping cracked items. Of course you can use the cord but individual strands or just the sheath with the strands removed works good for items that require the whipping to have a tighter bend radius. I repaired a cracked wooden slat on a camp chair using the sheath from paracord
if you have a "handi" stitcher or whip stitcher, those paracord strands make for tough and easy stitching on everything from canvas to leather, I stitched a shoe sole back on with my whip stitcher and paracord.

Back