• Happy U.S. Patent for Phosphorus Friction Match (1836)!🔥⛺

Wood identification.

Reaction score
So I'm teaching woodworking again, probably going to build a canoe with the senior class. I have three massive pieces of wood I can't identify. Two are 14 feet long, 22 inches wide and sixteen inches wide, the other one is the one in the picture. Clear, no knots, lighter than hardwood, heavier than cedar, planes very easy, like a softwood. No idea what it is. Any experts out there?

Attachments

• 20241001_092002.jpg
    20241001_092002.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 45
Is it from a local source or did it come from away? That might help. I can’t help from that pic, but if you can take a closeup of the end of the board. Ideally plane a section of the end so you can get a good view of the growth rings.
I might be able to find it in a book I have.
Jim

Hard to tell by the pic. Is there wane at the end of that board? If so is there any bark left on it? That could help.

In addition to cottonwood the others that first come to mind are soft maple or basswood.

Cottonwood and basswood both have distinctive smells when machined (especially sawn). Cottonwood often fuzzes on the surface a little when machined. Basswood smell is hard to explain. Not really pleasant but not unpleasant either. Most people find cottonwood smell unpleasant. It almost always smells burnt when ripping on a saw.

Like Boatman mentioned a close up of the end grain would be helpful.

The wood database is a great resource:

Alan

In addition to the above, is there any sapwood on any of the pieces? (Perhaps the white bit in the center of the pictured plank?)

Also, how's the color reproduction in the picture? Some (most) cameras do some automatic white-balance adjustment, so colors get skewed.

My first thought was butternut, but can't really tell from here.

My first thought was basswood, it's quite white, but I have seen very little basswood in my life. A cottonwood or poplar makes a lot of sense. That wood has been in the shop forever, I'm the first guy to pull it down, mostly because the kids have already used all the white pine. I should be able to tell if it is poplar once a edge joint it and rip off a couple of strips. If it is, pretty sure we will build a canoe with it, always wanted to try poplar. Thanks for all your help so far.

Poplar sounded right to me based on the described characteristics, except for the color; it doesn't seem white enough. We use for poplar for interior trim millwork and it tends to have very uniform coloration. It's very white, almost with a greyish undertone. Your board's hue seems a little too warm and tan/brown to me for poplar.

Basswood seems like a good guess.

We use for poplar for interior trim millwork and it tends to have very uniform coloration.

Are you two talking about the same poplar? If I go to a lumberyard pretty much anywhere in the US and ask for poplar I'm going to get tulip poplar, which isn't related to cottonwood, aspen, or the poplar Mem is likely referring to.

Alan

My first thought was basswood, it's quite white, but I have seen very little basswood in my life. A cottonwood or poplar makes a lot of sense. That wood has been in the shop forever, I'm the first guy to pull it down, mostly because the kids have already used all the white pine. I should be able to tell if it is poplar once a edge joint it and rip off a couple of strips. If it is, pretty sure we will build a canoe with it, always wanted to try poplar. Thanks for all your help so far.

The basswood I've used has been nearly as light as cedar and almost as soft as well.

I built a stripper from cottonwood this summer and it was noticeably heavier and harder to staple and sand than cedar. Not bad but noticeable.

Alan

Back