• Happy Collect Rocks Day! 🪨🥌💎

What do you like to read -- Fiction - Outdoors (or not?)

Reaction score
If anyone is into outdoor fiction, an author I like is a writer from Michigan who died in 2018, leaving some 60+ books behind. Not all are outdoor though. His name is Wes Boyd and he has a Website at:
where you can read all his works for free, though copies are also sold there, which benefit his estate (his widow, Kathy). Don't feel obligated to buy to read (I don't). The most outdoorsey of his books are the Dawnwalker Cycle series, which has some surfing, sailing, kayaking, river rafting, dogsledding, skiing (snow), thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail, and probably others I'm forgetting. Over a million and a half words there though some of the later books in that series don't have as much outdoors in them. And that's only eleven of his books. His Full Sails series is Great Lakes and Atlantic Ocean sailing. That's only four more books.

Wes was was an independent author, not published by one of the big houses, which means his books are not edited to perfection. Still, most of them are quite good reads as he's a pretty good storyteller. I don't like everything by him, no one is likely to, but there's enough there to appeal to a wide range of interests. And you can check it out for free. Heck, read all of everything for free, though you're tied to the computer to do that. If you like trains, there's some model railroading as well as the real thing with full-sized engines and cars. If you like flying, there's lots of that as Wes held a fixed-wing pilot's license for years. Characters in his books fly small Cessnas, Lear Jets, even the big jets when they have to. He liked cars, so there's car racing if that interests you. There's some football and basketball. Lots of life in small-town America, of which two of his longer series' are dedicated to.

Alan or Glenn, feel free to delete this if inappropriate.

Back