• Happy Publication of "Star Spangled Banner" (1814)! 🚀💣🇺🇸

Water born diseases

Reaction score
Can’t paddle the river or lake feeding it due to Cyanobacteria (blue green algae). When we first bought the property, there was a spate of leptospirosis on another nearby drainage. Killed some dogs. “Luckily,” the water is low so a river run is not possible anyway. The cause of excess nutrients is animal farming. Not small family farms that used to dominate this area, but the corporate “mega” farms that seem to be in a contest to squeeze as many animals on the land or under roof as possible. Manure production is too much for the fields to absorb. Some of the farms now export manure to Iowa and Nebraska. I think clean streams are a thing of the past everywhere there’s human activity.

I’m busying myself with cabin maintenance and firewood until Monday, when I head north to BWCA. My first canoe trip in almost 4 years.

The pond I used to work on taking care of a bunch of small sailboats had some really bad Cyanobacteria problems and it was brackish water too. The mat of algae was like trying to row (my guideboat) through felt, almost impossible and sailing it would stop the boats cold. It made for some interesting races.
Jim

Can’t paddle the river or lake feeding it due to Cyanobacteria (blue green algae). When we first bought the property, there was a spate of leptospirosis on another nearby drainage. Killed some dogs. “Luckily,” the water is low so a river run is not possible anyway. The cause of excess nutrients is animal farming. Not small family farms that used to dominate this area, but the corporate “mega” farms that seem to be in a contest to squeeze as many animals on the land or under roof as possible. Manure production is too much for the fields to absorb. Some of the farms now export manure to Iowa and Nebraska. I think clean streams are a thing of the past everywhere there’s human activity.

I’m busying myself with cabin maintenance and firewood until Monday, when I head north to BWCA. My first canoe trip in almost 4 years.
Enjoy your trip to BWCA!

Sorry to hear that about your waterway. As a member of the Board of Directors for my lake association, I recently joined the NY Federation of Lake Associations (NYSFOLA.org), a not-for-profit coalition of lake associations, individuals, and corporate members dedicated to the protection and restoration of New York lakes, geared toward NY/Adirondack watersheds and others in the Northeasten regions. At a major conference in Lake George last May, I heard many high level professional studies and talks on invasive aquatic species, including algae and Cyanobacteria. One report stated that if your watershed drainage consists of at least 25% agricultural land area, then algae blooms, including harmful bacteria can be expected.

I expect to further attend training to become a volunteer in the Citizens Statewide Lake Assessment Program (CSLAP) program this coming fall https://nysfola.org/what-is-cslap/

Perhaps your state has similar active water protection programs that can be joined.

WDNR Video about my little river. Unfortunately, it drains much farmland, the flowage lake is lined with cabins, and the river has several pipelines buried beneath its bed. Not sure how long the BG algae will affect it.

Last edited:
Back