• Happy 1st Printing Press in America (1639, Harvard)!🖨️📰📚

Video: Steve Scarborough Demonstrates Dagger Canoes in 1990

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is a 1990 video of the legendary Steve Scarborough, who designed canoes for Blue Hole and Dagger, as well as designing and manufacturing Dagger Paddles, demonstrating five Dagger canoes on the Mokelumne River in northern California. They are the tandems Interlude, Legend and Dimension, and the solos Caper and (a fuchsia) Encore.

In the group of paddlers is the also legendary Jim Shelander, who was the first paddler to open canoe the Grand Canyon—in a Mad River Royalex Explorer in 1979. The boats among the assembled paddlers include a yellow Explorer, a Blue Hole OCA, a Whitesell Piranha, and others. I own a fuchsia Encore, a yellow Explorer and a Whitesell Piranha. In addition, the Mokelumne is the first whitewater river I recall paddling tandem in my Explorer—with @WHIDBEY ISLAND GUY in 1981.

Scarborough gives a lengthy history of canoe design and paddling techniques, the group then practices eddy turns, peel outs, surfing, and rolling the open canoes, and finally runs and plays down the Mokelumne. All very nostalgic for me.

Back