• Happy Birthday, Chuck Berry (1926-2017)! 🎸

tinting epoxy

Reaction score
I think it was somewhere on this site I saw a reference to tinting epoxy with paint. I happen to have some Old Town green oil base boat paint and am repairing an old Tripper with G flex. It seems wrong to me but I'd like to hear from those more knowledgeable than me. Thanks, Larry

I’m not sure about tinting epoxy with paint. I believe we were talking about tinting varnish with stain. They do make little tubes of color for tinting epoxy and the formulas are compatible.
Jim
Here is one from System Three.

I used artists acrylic paint, the kind that comes in a tube, to tint West Systems epoxy. It did not affect the performance of the epoxy as far as I could tell. Tint is what I got—it did not color the epoxy to the point it was opaque. Perhaps if I’d used more paint I could have gotten a darker coloration, but at some point it seems like it would effect the epoxy.

I've used tints made for epoxy. Like Chip said they were not enough to make it opaque once applied to a surface (it looked opaque in the cup).

Alan

I've used quite a bit of pigments made for epoxy.
As Alan said, the tinted resin, in my case, was not opaque enough to hide the color and grain of western red cedar when I built my stripped Kite.
I have used black pigment with epoxy resin to give the illusion of carbon fiber when using fiberglass...As long as it looks good in the brochure, that's all that matters, haha.
I bought most of my pigments from Merton's, in MA.

I've used quite a bit of pigments made for epoxy.
As Alan said, the tinted resin, in my case, was not opaque enough to hide the color and grain of western red cedar when I built my stripped Kite.
I have used black pigment with epoxy resin to give the illusion of carbon fiber when using fiberglass...As long as it looks good in the brochure, that's all that matters, haha.
I bought most of my pigments from Merton's, in MA.
So does black, or any other color pigment make the epoxy opaque? I was hoping to find some green to be in the vicinity of my 50 and 35 year old O T Trippers, but if it is going to be translucent, I'm not sure i want to bother

As I remember mixing graphite powder into epoxy made for a relatively opaque coating, more so than the tints, but I don't remember if it was completely opaque.

It seems like the easiest thing to do would be to just paint over top of the epoxy. You could add some tint to the epoxy so any scratches in the paint aren't so obvious. But for 35-50 year old trippers it doesn't seem to be worth a lot of effort.

Alan

Back