• Happy Birthday, Grandma Moses (1860-1961)! 🎨🖌️🖼️

Tie down with hatch

Reaction score
Tying a canoe to a vehicle roof is an uncertain prospect. With an SUV, tying an end rope on the back makes hatch entry difficult. Not so bad if you load everything and don’t need to get in the back until the boat comes off, although I’m not sure that ever happens. Usually, there are many reasons to get into the cargo area particularly when hauling people or animals in the back seat. So, I’ve come up with an alternative tie off that leaves the hatch unimpeded for a partial lift. SUVs usually have an air foil over the back window that precludes full opening of the hatch door. However, I can still get in and even put gear or a cooler in and out with partial opening.

Here are some photos of my tie downs including the tie off to the cargo anchor point that keeps the canoe from sliding forward, which is what happens with severe braking. The rope I use does not affect door closing. I use an upside down trucker’s hitch to fasten to the front thwart. If backward sliding is the concern, one could alternately anchor to the hand grab handle and fasten to the rear thwart. Or, one could use two ropes and secure the canoe with two ropes to both thwarts.

I just wanted to post this to help anyone secure their canoe directly to the vehicle without impeding rear access.
IMG_3226.jpegIMG_3228.jpegIMG_3225.jpeg

Back