• Happy National Cheeseburger Day! 🍔

Steam box ideal length

Reaction score
I’m in the process of building my steamer and cannot decide the best length. I’m thinking 6 ft,
But then am wondering about the gunwales and what they will need.

Are you sure the gunwales will need to be steamed? Most of the time they don't.

Another method for steaming gunwales is to wrap them in a plastic bag and steam them inside the bag. The entire bag can be clamped to the hull and allowed to cool before unclamping.

Alan

If you haven't steam bent wood before, the technique will creep into all aspect of wood working afterwards. Just knowing you can do it and the benefits over other means to make wood curve will have you adding the method to other projects.

The tendency for the first one is to make it bigger to handle more lengths of wood and maybe a bit wider .... just remember, the bigger the box, the harder it is to get it up to temperature.

Personally, I find making the steambox to the length and girth I need for the current project and plan it so that in the future I can add an extension if I require something longer. This is pretty straight forward with either wood or plastic piping.

If you need to steam the gunnels (which I have never required) Allen has the right of it, the bag method is likely your best option ... a video is here :

Brian

I used to use a steam box, it was about 6’ long. A friend told how he used the bag method so I gave it a try and never went back to the box.
I use a Coleman 2 burner stove with an old pot to hold the water, and I cut a hole in the lid for the automobile heater hose that carry’s the steam to the bag. The bag is actually a food storage bag that comes in a roll, easy to find at Walmart. Just cut the length you need and duct tape the ends. This method requires much less steam imo. It is also very good for gunnels if you need to bend them.
And you don’t have to build and store the box.
Here’s a video of my system in use.

I’ll say it again, use a wallpaper steamer. It costs about $50, runs on electricity (so no fire) and it boils water in minutes. As to the box it needs to be just a bit bigger, longer than the wood you want to steam. Anything more is just wasting steam trying to fill up the box. I built a box one time that had a removable panel about half way down its length so I could shorten the box when needed.
The bag is a good method for long pieces where only the ends need steam, but if it is a one off job it saves time building a box. Throw some towels or an old blanket over/around the bag to help keep the heat in. I’ve wrapped a blue tarp around a really curvy plank that didn’t fit in the box I had on hand.
Jim
IMG_2765.jpeg

IMG_2764.jpeg

IMG_2762.jpeg

I’ll say it again, use a wallpaper steamer. It costs about $50, runs on electricity (so no fire) and it boils water in minutes. As to the box it needs to be just a bit bigger, longer than the wood you want to steam. Anything more is just wasting steam trying to fill up the box. I built a box one time that had a removable panel about half way down its length so I could shorten the box when needed.
The bag is a good method for long pieces where only the ends need steam, but if it is a one off job it saves time building a box. Throw some towels or an old blanket over/around the bag to help keep the heat in. I’ve wrapped a blue tarp around a really curvy plank that didn’t fit in the box I had on hand.
Jim
View attachment 142677

View attachment 142678

View attachment 142679
Side point for this discussion, but was that lapstrake a new-build, or a repair job?

I made one last year, and I made it to short. It works great for anything under 45" long. It was one of those stupid moments I had when I was getting ready to build my Raven canoe. After I made the box I realized my stems were to be 50"+. The box was fine for shorter projects. I think you would be good at 60".Compress_20240730_175123_3765.jpg

Jim
View attachment 142677

View attachment 142678

View attachment 142679

Absolutely concur, this is about the easiest steam generator ... you can make up a pot with a stove and jury rig hose etc. but the steam generators (Earlex here) come with everything .... just plug them in and hook up the included hose.

Something else to consider ... it doesn't have to be wood, a piece of 6" plastic pipe (make sure it can take 100C) works really well. I prefer a vertical orientation, saves floor space and seems simpler to use. Just drill a small hole in the ends of the wood stock, skewer with a piece of coat hanger wire (or something similar) and hang them inside ... close the top and bottom with plastic caps for the pipe you buy ... drill a few holes in each, the bottom to allow water to drain, top to let the steam vent.

Back