• Happy Publication of "Star Spangled Banner" (1814)! 🚀💣🇺🇸

Snake infested water bodies

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't seen too many snakes in the lakes, rivers and swamps I've paddled. I do recall seeing water moccasins (AKA cottonmouths) in Silver Springs River, Florida, as I was stepping out of the canoe at a landing. Here is a review of the most snake infested lakes in South Carolina—a wonderful canoeing state, which has everything from coastal paddling to blackwater rivers to whitewater rivers to Jurassic swamps.

"From cottonmouths basking on docks and copperheads prowling the shallows to rat snakes mingling near hiking trails, it is critical to know how to react when you come across one. By understanding where these reptiles thrive most, lake visitors can be more aware and prepared if venturing to areas with historically high snake concentrations. Safety precautions also take precedence when visiting the most snake-infested lakes in South Carolina."

At the bottom of the article are links to other articles about the most snake infested lakes in Iowa, Indiana, Wisconsin and West Virginia.

I grew up in S.C., and some of my earliest canoe trips were to catch snakes on a local creek. We'd let them go at the end. I moved to western Washington after college, and it took me a year or so to stop looking at every step since there weren't any poisonous snakes around.

I've paddled in the Carolinas for decades. I don't worry about snakes much. I worry about people, drowning, and gators.

This is an excellent site for snake identification.

The northern water snake is ubiquitous in the waters of the Carolinas It is frequently confused with copperheads and water moccasins. Mostly harmless, its brazen attitude often freaks people out.

MVIMG_20180825_163223.jpg

Snakes are definitely not my thing. Luckily garter snakes are most common here. Non-venomous and easy to identify. Either way I always stay away from all snakes just to be sure.

IMG_3979.png
I had walked through this area 3 times already while carefully scanning for snakes. The 4th time I was complacent and talking to my dad and brother over my shoulder. I noticed movement out of the corner of my eye and jumped in the opposite direction. When I looked back to where I was about to step, I saw this guy was curled up between a blueberry patch and some moss and lichen. This is a Massasauga Rattlesnake. He was so small that his rattle made more of a clicking sound than a traditional rattle.

My older brother swore that the snake had struck my left foot, but I hadn’t felt anything.
Upon close inspection of my left Chaco sandal I noticed that I had two small puncture marks in the side. I guess I was lucky. I don’t wear chacos around the Georgian Bay in summer anymore.
IMG_3980.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3980.jpeg
    IMG_3980.jpeg
    52.4 KB · Views: 0
Back