• Happy Birthday, Chuck Berry (1926-2017)! 🎸

Smart phone satellite SOS capability

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In shopping for a new Google Pixel phone it came to my attention that the new model 9 line of phones, announced in August 2024, will have a modem and software that enables satellite connectivity via text messaging for emergency situations. The feature is stated to be free for the first two years after a Pixel 9 activation and to be fee-based after that. The function is described in this Google phone help page and in the following article:

The article above mentions that Apple has had this feature since the iPhone 14 in 2022 and that it will be enhanced in iOS 18.

Has anyone used or tested this feature on a Pixel 9, iPhone, or any other phone that may have satellite connectivity? Will this feature likely be a satisfactory substitute for standalone emergency satellite communication devices?

Did the included demo test with my new iPhone 16 Pro and it worked perfectly. I was surprised at how quickly it connected to the satellite. Certainly is a nice backup feature to have whether traveling wilderness or not.

Did the included demo test with my new iPhone 16 Pro and it worked perfectly. I was surprised at how quickly it connected to the satellite. Certainly is a nice backup feature to have whether traveling wilderness or not.

Steve, is the iPhone feature intended only for SOS purposes or can it be used for satellite texting in non-emergency situations?

Back