• Happy Collect Rocks Day! 🪨🥌💎

Replacement Vinyl/Aluminum Gunwales available retail in Maine?

Reaction score
I'm taking my boys camping this weekend. But I live on Nantucket and can't get a reservation to get my truck off the island because its the end of the summer season and the hoards are leaving, so the vehicle ferry system is backed up. That means I can't bring my own canoes as planned. My buddy in Maine has a spare Old Town Disco with broken gunwales but it's so flimsy that it's like trying to paddle a curved leaf. I've already arranged to borrow a canoe from another friend, but I thought it would be nice to help my buddy replace those broken vinyl gunwales while I was in town, as a thanks of sort for hosting us. I don't have time to order and ship gunwales, so does anyone know where I might buy replacement vinyl/aluminum gunwales from a retail store in Maine, or anywhere between Cape Cod, MA and Castine/Machias, Maine? Thanks

The few times I’ve shopped for gunwales they had to be ordered from the canoe manufacturer, and then you wait until they have a shipment of canoes arriving. Gunwales are as long as canoes, so even though they don’t weigh much, they are costly to ship, unless they toss them in with a shipment of canoes.

Try calling Old Town, located in Maine, and ask them if they know of any retailers that might have gunwales on hand. My hunch is that retailers don’t stock gunwales because they are not in high demand. You could always make wood gunwales and then your friend will have a unique Disco—there can’t be too many Discos with wood gunwales.

Are you on Facebook, there is one page called Mid AtlanticNew England and Northeast canoe fanatics, there is a guy in RI who does a ton of work on old OT’s if I’m not mistaken, he might have a set he’s willing to sell.. Also “Canoe Repair Shop” is another page.
Also, Lows sells 1x3” 16’ spruce lath, if you dig thru the pile you might find 4 decent pieces to make temporary gunnels, easy with a drill and some sheet rock screws

Too bad you are in the east. I have stashed several pair of Disco gunwales in the rafters of the equipment bldg at the local nature center. Since I do the boat repairs, I save all boat parts that look like they might have some future use. I have been doing this long enough that the center is offered donation boats on a regular basis. Some are junk and get cut up for the dumpster, but many have some potentially usable parts.

Your timeline certainly makes this difficult.

As Robin says, gunwales can be made from hardware store wood. If you have a table saw ripping the edges from two deck boards will yield four perfectly usable gunwales. I suggest securing them with deck screws since the treated lumber is corrosive.

For an old discovery this is probably an acceptable permanent repair.

This could probably be done in 4 hours or so if you had a table saw and drills.

However, given the difficulties, I'd suggest an offering of spirits or food is a more appropriate gesture of gratitude for your host.

Last edited:
Try calling Old Town, located in Maine, and ask them if they know of any retailers that might have gunwales on hand.

This seems like an obvious option if the canoe is in Maine. One would think the Old Town factory would have gunwales for their own canoes, if anyone would.

You might also try calling member here White Rose Canoe in Massachusetts for info, although they may not be an Old Town dealer, or Charles River Canoe & Kayak also in Massachusetts, which is or used to be.

Yes, my timeline precluded most of the logical solutions.

Thanks for the help everyone. A forum-member even sent direct-message, offering up a free set of salvaged Camper gunwales.

For this trip, we borrowed a different canoe, but reaching out to Old Town directly makes a lot of sense for the ultimate repair.

Yes, my timeline precluded most of the logical solutions.

Thanks for the help everyone. A forum-member even sent direct-message, offering up a free set of salvaged Camper gunwales.

For this trip, we borrowed a different canoe, but reaching out to Old Town directly makes a lot of sense for the ultimate repair.
Hi! I am in Portland, Maine and have acquired a 1974 Camper 16 with beat-up white vinyl gunwales. I'd be very interested in connecting with the person with the salvaged gunwales. Thank you!

Hope you had a great trip.

Hi @BDEfromPWM

The forum member who volunteered the gunwales direct-messaged me to keep it off the public forum. I’ll send them a note on your behalf and report back if they might still offer them to you.

Hi! I am in Portland, Maine and have acquired a 1974 Camper 16 with beat-up white vinyl gunwales. I'd be very interested in connecting with the person with the salvaged gunwales. Thank you!

Hope you had a great trip.
I sent a PM to you about the gunwales.

Hello All, I’m looking for vinyl aluminum gunwales for a Royalex Mad River Explorer. Stored outside, so wood is not ideal. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi! I am in Portland, Maine

I sent a PM to you about the gunwales.

Hello All

BDE, River Nymph and GanonDorf: Welcome to site membership! Feel free to ask any questions and to post messages, photos and videos, and to start threads, in our many forums. Please read Welcome to CanoeTripping and Site Rules! Also, because canoeing is a geographic sport, please add your location to the Account Details page in your profile, which will cause it to show under your avatar as a clickable map link. Many of the site's technical features are explained in Features: Help and How-To Running Thread. We look forward to your participation in our canoe community.

We all will be interested in finding out whether you have successfully repaired your gunwales and any other tales of your experiences with canoes.

Back