• Happy National Apple Day! 🍎

Recommended PFD for solo canoeing and fishing

I wear a PFD that I won from NRS. The model is no longer available but it's very comfortable and easy to paddle & cast while wearing it. It has a side zipper instead of one on the front of the jacket but it's not a problem. I do like the front pocket on the chest where a small box of lures or flies will fit comfortably. While my PFD is no longer made, NRS has models now that are designed specifically for fishing so you might want to check them out.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

Not going to try to recommend a specific brand or model, but make sure that you try on a multitude of styles. Some things to consider:

• Are you likely to be a 100% wear-time user, or are you someone who will have it on and off? I personally ended up with a "Class V" that doesn't open at all - it pulls over the head, and then the chest and abdomen are adjusted by straps. It is comfortable for me, but only counts toward the legal PFD requirement if I'm wearing it. Since I don't float well enough to rely on even in good conditions, I consider that a reasonable restriction.
  • Every body is unique. Don't get caught up in the gendered labeling that some variants have - sure, they're targeted toward the average build, but you are you. I'm a slender-built guy, but the vest that actually fit me when I was shopping was an Astra labeled as a womens' vest. Slight differences in how the foam was cut and assembled, a little more room at chest level. I noticed that most of the "women's" vests that I tried on at the time had more flex in the torso than the "Men's" versions.
  • #1 thing that a PFD must do is provide enough buoyancy to keep you from drowning. #1.5 is that it must stay in place so that that buoyancy can be applied to your person. Check this. Have someone brace you up by the front of the PFD. Does it slip? I recently considered using one of the cheap buckle-front vests that are popular with entry-level fishermen and pleasure boaters for a day out on the family boat. I put it on, and was shocked by how much the thing would ride up with absolutely no effort. I went back to the paddling vest, even though it is a little bulkier and less wieldy around boat seats.

I’ve gone through a few PFDs. My current one has a flat back to accommodate my backrest. I’m not in love with the zipper location, nor how my PLB fits on the shoulder strap. It does the trick I suppose, although I’ve never dumped in the middle of a windy lake in it.

The NRS Chinook is a popular fishing PFD. The NRS site has the 2019 model on sale for $80.

The front zip on the Chinook will make it convenient and probably comfy but I doubt it would be as good (snug) for swimming as something that uses straps to adjust the fit.

I have an NRS Ninja that I like a lot. I value the lack of arm restriction when paddling and don't care about pockets since I carry a day pack for "stuff".

I agree that in general it's best to try on a bunch of PFD's if you can. I got lucky with my NRS Ninja that I bought online on sale without trying.

NRS.com has sales periodically and a clearance section for bargains. Outdoorplay.com is another good site to check for sales.

For the first 35 years of its running, the Adirondack 90 mile canoe race required a PFD to be on board as a legal requirement, but actually wearing it was optional unless the race director required it be worn due to weather conditions. Now that the NFCT has taken over running the event, insurance requires 100% wearing of a PFD. I think most every other race or official event I have seen now has the same requirement.

For many years I have used a Kokotat Orbit, which has two pockets to hold the minimal on-person mandatory survival gear required on Yukon races. Closer to home in normally calmer waters, many of us have gone to wearing inflatables. The NRS inflatable in particular has found its way to my crew due to a substantial discount by one of my paddling partners being a NRS employee.

Last edited:
Back