• Happy Birthday, Grandma Moses (1860-1961)! 🎨🖌️🖼️

Northstar Polaris

Id love to have that.

Just a short 30 hour drive to pick it up!

I've driven some very long distances to buy many of the 19 canoes and kayaks I've owned. Once, 10,000 miles—directly from Connecticut to Sacramento, California, about 3,000 miles, plus a very circuitous route back home of about 7,000 miles, paddling all over the western USA and into Canada on the way back. That trip took seven weeks.

What I have always done is to incorporate a paddling trip on the way back into the purchase trip. These would always take me to paddling venues I'd never been before and which I may never have paddled. I traveled twice from NY to Florida, once from NY to Georgia, once from CT to Virginia, and many other purchase trips between 500 and 1,000 miles.

These trips have been among my most memorable paddling trips, or any trips, of my lifetime. Of course, you have to be creative in carving out time to do this, such as planning nearby business trips, getting "sick", or getting old or sick of work and retiring.

Sometimes there's another canoeist nearby the seller who can hold the canoe for you while you gin up the time for the pickup trip.

Id
I've driven some very long distances to buy many of the 19 canoes and kayaks I've owned. Once, 10,000 miles—directly from Connecticut to Sacramento, California, about 3,000 miles, plus a very circuitous route back home of about 7,000 miles, paddling all over the western USA and into Canada on the way back. That trip took seven weeks.

What I have always done is to incorporate a paddling trip on the way back into the purchase trip. These would always take me to paddling venues I'd never been before and which I may never have paddled. I traveled twice from NY to Florida, once from NY to Georgia, once from CT to Virginia, and many other purchase trips between 500 and 1,000 miles.

These trips have been among my most memorable paddling trips, or any trips, of my lifetime. Of course, you have to be creative in carving out time to do this, such as planning nearby business trips, getting "sick", or getting old or sick of work and retiring.

Sometimes there's another canoeist nearby the seller who can hold the canoe for you while you gin up the time for the pickup trip.
Believe me, if I thought for a minute I could carve out the time, I'd be all about a trip just like that!

Sounds to me like you're doing it right. I like your style!

....the wheels are turning they just aren't getting anywhere 😁

I drove FL-> MI for my Polaris, but I have family in MI so it was dual purpose. I’d love to make a long paddlin’ road trip out of a canoe purchase, but dance competition season just concluded in June and we just got back from my sister’s wedding in MI last week, so are licking our financial wounds… and we are traveling for thanksgiving too.

I tried to make a canoe purchase on a long paddling road trip last year - a Wildfire near Minneapolis like the one I just bought locally. The seller "already had an interested buyer". Three weeks after I got home, he had reduced the price and finally sold it.

I bought my Northstar (Polaris) from the middle of Nebraska. Not overly far from me in Iowa but I already had a trip planned to the PNW so I just picked it up along the way which allowed me to add paddling to my hiking plans while out west.

Alan

I'd buy this one, but I have a beautiful kevlar Malecite which maybe isn't quite as good but close enough. And I'm holding out for a B16.

I'd buy this one, but I have a beautiful kevlar Malecite which maybe isn't quite as good but close enough. And I'm holding out for a B16.
I’m in Minneapolis and can help next time. I have two boats that came from Idaho so I know what a hassle it can be. Keep me in mind.

Steve, have you paddled both? Maybe the Malecite is better, I I love mine. The V hull makes it really stable for standing to pole or paddle and it carves real smooth turns. The V gives you two flat bottoms, one for right turns and one for left turns, and it makes it easy to hold your angle when carving.

Steve, have you paddled both? Maybe the Malecite is better, I I love mine. The V hull makes it really stable for standing to pole or paddle and it carves real smooth turns. The V gives you two flat bottoms, one for right turns and one for left turns, and it makes it easy to hold your angle when carving.
No, I haven't paddled a Polaris. The only advantage to it I'm sure of is its lighter weight. But my Malecite is what I consider heavy yet. I'm not at all unhappy with it, and it is the prettier boat - no question. It always does what I want it to very well. And ever since my wife got her nice lake kayak, we don't paddle tandem much anyway. A B16 though - I think it would be a great poling canoe for rough water. I miss my old RX Prospector, but not its weight.

Steve, If you're thinking about a 40 lb tripper you should check out the Northstar Seliga. I love mine. It's a better moving water boat then the Malecite, being more maneuverable with great secondary stability. I posted a review of the boat on this site if you're interested.

Steve, If you're thinking about a 40 lb tripper you should check out the Northstar Seliga. I love mine. It's a better moving water boat then the Malecite, being more maneuverable with great secondary stability. I posted a review of the boat on this site if you're interested.

A 40 lb tripper sounds appealing, but I'm more interested in having the IPX layup for what would be strictly a rough water poling/snubbing boat.

Ah! Someone has bought the Polaris. Maybe I'll see them on the water someday and offer my congratulations. :)

A 40 lb tripper sounds appealing, but I'm more interested in having the IPX layup for what would be strictly a rough water poling/snubbing boat.
Are you trying to upgrade from royalex to a higher performing hull. If so, the Seliga is a great hull for WW, too bad it doesn't come in the IXP layup. You can hit rocks with the lighter layups, just not too hard would be my guess.

Are you trying to upgrade from royalex to a higher performing hull. If so, the Seliga is a great hull for WW, too bad it doesn't come in the IXP layup. You can hit rocks with the lighter layups, just not too hard would be my guess.
Yeah, you know, if I found a deal on one before the other, I probably wouldn't pass it up.

Back