• Happy Premiere of Superman TV Series (1952)! 🔫🚂🏢

Moose River launch closed?

Reaction score
I just heard from another paddler that the gated access to the launch on Attean Pond is closed? Can anyone confirm? Can you recommend an alternative launch/landing?

If true, I wonder what the story is behind this.

Art

Unless there is a specific reason to believe otherwise, I wouldn't assume that it was closed in May for anything other than flooding or repair. Both I'd think would be likely in May. When we did the Moose in August 2022, the road was flooded and the attendant at Attean Landing advised us to park at the turnaround by the gate. IIRC, the gate may have been closed after we got on the water, as the water levels were still rising at that point.

And unless there are "no parking" signs at the turnaround and/or "no trespassing" signs on the land between the turnaround and the river, I'd just park there. If you want to be extra safe, start in Jackman, which adds ~1.7 miles of paddling to the put-in upstream of the railroad bridge (~2.4 miles to Attean Landing), or Holeb, which adds about 20.75 miles from the turnaround (a little over 18 miles from downtown Jackman), much of which will be on Holeb Road, which is a haul road.

Back