• Happy Premiere of Superman TV Series (1952)! 🔫🚂🏢

Knudsen Knupak canoe portage frames and bags for sale in Vermont

I have two of them, always wished I had got another when they were still available. But $295 for frame only is a bit steep as a thrid spare when my primary frame and bag are still doing well and in good shape. I have many bushwhack miles on mine under my Hornbeck and other canoes, including a Trans-ADK trek of 185 miles one hot dry rocky low river July that required 65 total miles of portaging while carrying all food and gear I needed for a full week. Hands free carry thanks to the lower support bar. Eric Knudsen tried to get me to buy the company before he shut it down and moved to Hawaii.

This is me just starting out on that trek to across Lake Chamnplain beyond Plattsburgh.
knupac ADKTrek hornbeck.jpeg
knupac rear view.jpeg
It even suports a 100+ pound woodstrip voyageur canoe, taken as a promo photo for Eric.
knupacvoyageur.jpeg

Last edited:
I still have a pack frame with the pack from the early 1970’s when I first started backpacking. I don’t know that I ever will but it seems that I could probably fabricate the cradles for the top of the frame. Certainly would be a lot cheaper as opposed to the prices being asked for these items.

Looks like a great system, and it is an expense for a basic pack frame with added supports. If the frame and suspension are exceptionally comfortable, and of good build quality, it's an interesting consideration.

I'll toss it out there again.

I have a late 70's Kelty Tioga XL pack and frame. Frame is free if you pay freight and that is the issue - ships oversized.

Years ago while working in the Adirondacks for SUNY Cortland, we fabricated 50 or so proto-types of these portage packs from old Camp Trails external frames. We used PVC pipe and fittings to create the supports for where the canoe sits. After 25+ years, these are still going out with students on 6 day trips. Each student is fitted to a frame and issued a large dry bag for their gear. The system allows for them to comfortably carry their canoe on one trip across the portage trail and then come back for their pack. The funny thing is a few years after we started doing this, the program was contacted by the company who made the commercial product. They were told we were already doing this with our homemade version and they seemed both impressed and a bit miffed.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

The funny thing is a few years after we started doing this, the program was contacted by the company who made the commercial product.
that would be Eric Knudsen. At the end of production he was having difficulty getting sufficient bags manufactured from a Canadian company. He put the company up for sale and even contacted me to see Iif I wanted to buy it, but I was in no situation to take on something like that. Then he folded the company and moved to Hawaii. The remaining Knupac system packs were available here and there in outdoor shops for a couple of yeaars after that.

Back