• Happy Collect Rocks Day! 🪨🥌💎

King Arthur's Canoe

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is being posted in the right place or not. Glenn, feel free to move around.

I was muddling through a variety of unusual web queries and went down a rabbit hole with King Arthur. While we all are familiar with him pulling the sword from the stone, this is not the oldest version of the tale.

According to the stories in The Boy's King Arthur: Sir Thomas Mallory's History of King Arthur, Arthur was directed to the middle of a lake and a female hand and arm rose out of the lake, holding the sword. Arthur then plucked the sword and on with the tale. Although there is no mention that I could find of the boat that took him to the middle of the lake in a canoe, the accompanying illustration clearly shows a canoe.

46FF7B6F-0BA8-4F99-BEFB-8314ABC60136.jpeg

A different rendering. While this boat has a single blade it it an oar rather than a paddle. Looking at similar images of boats of the period and all seem to be row boats rather than canoes.

Of course only the Lady knows for sure!

1725064662562.png

I remember that picture very clearly from being a kid who wouldn't stay still in church unless I got to bring a book.
I'd say that's closer to a clinker-built norse faering, romanticized for a modern audience, but the prow does look very canoe-ish.

A different rendering. While this boat has a single blade it it an oar rather than a paddle. Looking at similar images of boats of the period and all seem to be row boats rather than canoes.

Of course only the Lady knows for sure!
Is that a trolling motor in the stern? < Huge Grin! >

You beat me to it!

Here Arthur demonstrates his polling technique utilizing a handy oar, no doubt setting out to find Excalibur.

1725076435573.png

Back