• Happy Birthday, Chuck Berry (1926-2017)! 🎸

Keel line Inquiry

Reaction score
Hello y'all,

Keel line is not discussed much anywhere besides rocker/hog characteristics. Naturally all boats has some form of rocker with overall flat keel from my understanding. I would like to emphasize on flatwater and handmade hulls.

Rebuilding one of my composite flatwater boats and decided to use flat surface as reference to just see. Left me pretty surprised so I checked other boats, nearly no boat has truly FLAT keel line other than normal rocker at bow and stern.

Most has small hog towards bow, but not at center so it sits pretty flat except that one spot. Pretty sure it goes away once I sit on the seat. I would say ~1/4" at most.

All of them would have irregularities at different spots, concave or convex. To what point where it is acceptable?

There is also hydrostatic pressure and weight of paddler/gear in overall equation which evens out most irregularities so it might be not as big deal especially hulls with some give?

I'm not quite sure what you're describing. Could you show a picture?

This is a line splan of a canoe I designed and built and is what I'd consider fairly typical.

Bloodvein_V5_Linesplan by Alan, on Flickr

Alan

Back